"Study hard and prosper."
Ted Franklin is the former principal at Ridgeway Junior High School. He is very popular with its students. He is particularly fond of Carly and Freddie, and is used to seeing Sam in his office to give her detention on a regular basis. He never hesitates to discipline troublemaking students (particularly Sam), but does so in a fair and kind-hearted way rather than the "usual" strict way of many principals in the media. He goes out of his way to be fair and on occasion sides with students over teachers who pick on students or make false accusations. He seems to dislike Ms. Briggs and Mr. Howard's rude behavior to his students, and it appears that the feeling is mutual.
He is mentioned to be married with at least two children - in iGot Detention, he explains to Carly, Sam and Freddie that, "My kids and I love iCarly." One of his children is a daughter named Emily, and in one episode, Principal Franklin convinced the iCarly trio to let him guest star in a webcast as a birthday present for her.
He is played by Tim Russ, best known for playing Lieutenant Tuvok on Star Trek: Voyager.
Principal Franklin returns in the revival series in i'M Cursed. He returns to give Carly and Freddie their letters from their past selves to future selves for Carly's 27th birthday and reveals he has retired. He is later seen celebrating Carly's birthday and cheering on Freddie when he does a lot of shots.
- In iPilot, Principal Franklin's Nebraska State University diploma writes that his name is Carl Franklin.
- Principal Franklin is the first character seen in the series, as when iPilot opens, he is seen laughing at the picture of Ms. Briggs as a rhinoceros (or what he thought at first to be a hippopotamus).
- Principal Franklin received Carly's microwave oven in iPromise Not to Tell.
- Also revealed in iPromise Not to Tell is Principal Franklin's information on the school's computer system. His username is "bigteddy" and his password is "corncake21."
- He had meetings with Sam Puckett each Thursday to discuss the trouble that she had gotten into over the past week at school.
- Carly, Sam, and Freddie think that Principal Franklin is the nicest teacher in the school.
- In iHave My Principals, the iCarly gang accidentally get him fired. However, they come up with a plan to get him his job back.
- Principal Franklin got fired due to his appearance and actions on iCarly.
- His name is likely a reference to "Teddy" Roosevelt and "Franklin" Roosevelt.
- He was never seen in Season 4, but he was heard over a speaker in iOMG. He references Star Trek very briefly when he says "Study hard and prosper." This was an inside joke referring to Tim Russ' role on Star Trek: Voyager.
- Principal Franklin makes his first on screen reappearance since iHave My Principals in the Season 5 episode iOpen a Restaurant.
- In the very few screenshots of the unaired Gibby (TV series) pilot script, Principal Franklin was set to have an appearance in the show.
- Principal Franklin returns in the revival series, again portrayed by Tim Russ, in the episode i'M Cursed.
- It is mentioned in i'M Cursed that he has retired since iGoodbye. Although it is unknown how long he has been retired for.
|iCarly (2021) Episodes|
|✔ = Appeared||M = Mentioned||F = Flashback|
|- = Did not appear||V = Voice||P = Pictured|
|Note: Specials are counted as 1 episode in the total (see more information).|