iCarly introduces a new feature—called the Blab Cam—where viewers can chat with Sam and Carly on the air. One of the first callers is a fellow Ridgeway Bulldog, named Valerie, who seems more interested in Freddie than Sam or Carly, so that the girls suggest the two should go on a date.
Mrs. Benson seems very excited with the fact that Freddie is having a first date and states that she would love to have them over to her apartment. However, Carly convinces Freddie's mother that the date can be at the Shay Apartment. She also has him have backup clothes instead of the dorky ones his mother dresses him up in ready. Sam sets up cameras and both girls spy on Freddie's date. Freddie and Valerie have a good first date and become inseparable for the next week. She then asks him to help her do a webshow on the same day as iCarly, causing Freddie to quit the show. He hires Jeremy as iCarly's new tech producer, but Jeremy messes up the show with his constant sneezing.
After the disastrous iCarly episode, Valerie admits to Sam that she was just trying to ruin iCarly and establish her own show as the best show on the web and even offers Sam a place as her co-host, baiting her with calling the web-show 'Val and Sam' or 'Sam and Val' if she wanted to. Sam fakes interest, but immediately tells Carly about it, and they both give the news to Freddie. At first, he doesn't believe them, but when he confronts Valerie about it, she admits it. Freddie breaks up with her. He returns in time for the iCarly webcast but doesn't return to as tech producer because Sam doesn't treat him like he is important to the show. After Sam tells him he is important to iCarly, he returns as iCarly's tech producer.
Without Freddie's help, Valerie fails miserably with her show, The Valerie Show.
- On the DVD, Season 1, Volume 1, Disc 2, this episode is called "iWant to Date Freddie," hence this is probably the correct title, not "iWill Date Freddie".
- "iWant to Date Freddie" was also the title of the episode in the UK airings of this episode.
- This episode has a reference to crew member Robin Weiner in the webcast scene where Sam says, "We'd like to thank our friend Robin for letting us borrow her weiner dog."
- It was during the filming of this episode that Drake Bell (Miranda Cosgrove's former Drake & Josh costar) visited the set. He walked onto the kitchen set and said, "Hey, Megan." (addressing Miranda by the name of her "Drake & Josh" character), and asked, "Where's Josh? Where's Mom and Dad?" A clip of this was included in iBloop.
- The word "skunk-bag" as used in this episode is a euphemism for scumbag (a contemptible lowlife), the origin of which has vulgar connotations.
- Jeremy ("Germy") is using a small hand-held camera with a lens that is only two or three cm wide, yet when he is wiping his spittle off it we see his whole hand and part of his arm, indicating that he is wiping spittle off a sheet of glass, not the actual camera lens.
- When Valerie's TV monitor falls it has no power cord attached, so it couldn't actually work.
- When the monitor fell on Valerie, she seemed unharmed. In reality, she would have been extremely hurt or even killed.
- When Sam spits out the watermelon, you can see Nathan Kress breaking character by laughing.
- This is the first episode focusing on Freddie.
- This is the first time that Sam and Freddie hug.
- This is the first episode to feature the Spaghetti Tacos. They would later become a running gag throughout the series.
- Freddie's mom seemed to want Carly to love Freddie, but in iSaved Your Life, she seemed disgusted that they were kissing. She also seems to like Carly (or at least not have a grudge against her) unlike in many other episodes.
- This is the first episode to feature Spaghetti Tacos. They would later become a running gag.
- In iKiss, Freddie said his kiss with Valerie didn't count, although when Carly asked if he had kissed Valerie in this episode, Freddie replied "a little".
- This is the first episode that Sam admits Freddie is just as important to the show as she and Carly are.
- This is the first episode where Socko is mentioned by name.
Freddie: I'm not even sure I should take her out.
Mrs. Benson: Freddie, tell her [implying Sam] the rule about standing up straight.
Mrs. Benson: [To Freddie] There is a living, breathing girl out there who wants to go out with you. This may never happen again! ... [quickly turns to Carly] Unless Carly changes her mind.
Spencer: [singing] I'm cookin', I'm cookin' things, cookin' things for people to eat, I'm I'm cookin', I'm cookin' things, things that people will cheeeeeeew!
Freddie: It's Valerie!
Spencer: Would you care to see a dessert menu?
Freddie: Yup, we've gone out together every night this week so far. I'd say we're almost officially boyfriend and girlfriend.
Carly: Have you kissed her yet?
[Valerie gives Freddie a quick kiss on the lips, and then leaves.]
Sam: Come here, Freddie!
Carly: That little--
Spencer: [on the phone with a Girl Sprout] HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO SAY NO?!? Wait, how much for the Twin Mints?
Sam: [to Carly] Now what?
Related iCarly.com blog posts
See photos for this episode here.