"Mom?! Mom?! Samantha Puckett! [both run away screaming]"
When Tara, one of Carly, Sam, and Freddie's classmates, mentions on iCarly that she competes in beauty pageants and expects to lose the next one to a girl named LeAnn Carter, who has won 99 pageants in a row, Sam gets upset. She reveals that she used to compete in pageants herself and always lost to LeAnn until LeAnn fell down some stairs and people accused Sam of pushing her, leading to Sam getting banned from competing for seven years. Since LeAnn being about to win the 100th pageant in a row as the first girl ever upsets her so much, she pushes Carly to compete in the pageant.
While Carly is preparing for the pageant, Sam finds out that she's eligible to compete in the pageant (due it being six months past the seven-year mark of her suspension), and enters herself supported by Carly. She does well at first with a speech about "Ending world hunger - for the children." The final portion is the talent competition, during which LeAnn does an impressive saxophone solo--Sam gets nervous about what to do for her turn, and decides to sing the song Carly was gonna sing until she runs into Ernie, who was her dance coach back during her pageant days, and they do a routine that Sam refers to as the "train station routine." Sam manages to win the overall title for the pageant.
Spencer and Freddie decide to go on a double date. Originally, they planned to go rock-climbing, but along with the girls, they decide to play a game called "What Am I?" (Spoof of the well-known game, Hedbanz®) before their scheduled climb time. Eventually, their dates leave out of frustration with how wrapped up in the game the guys were, and the occasionally stupid questions they ask each other. After the pageant, Carly and Sam try to get the guys' attention, and because the guys are too wrapped up in their game, Sam reveals Spencer's card, and Carly reveals Freddie's card. The two guys are annoyed and decide to start over with new cards.
- The episode that was shown instead, "iMake Sam Girlier," was shown with a series of other TV episodes featuring Jennette McCurdy: as a guest star in the new True Jackson: VP episode “True Drama,” as well reruns of Malcolm in the Middle episodes "If Boys Were Girls" and "Buseys Take a Hostage."
- Dan Schneider said in his blogs that Sam was supposed to admit having pushed Leanne down the stairs, but it was cut out so Sam wouldn't seem too violent.
- One of the pageant girls is from Yakima, first mentioned in iWanna Stay With Spencer.
- Jennette McCurdy did all the dancing, as stated in Dan Schneider's Fun Facts on the episode.
- This episode can be seen on the iCarly DVD, " iSpace Out."
- Lane Napper, who plays "Lane Alexander" on Victorious, played Ernie, Sam's dance coach.
- Like all of the fictional websites depicted on the series, instaboobs.com redirects the user to icarly.com.
- Sam's pink dress can be bought here.
- Some viewers asked how Freddie could want to go on a date with another girl so soon after breaking up with Carly (iSaved Your Life). Dan Schneider explained that Freddie didn't want to go out with Leslie and only did so because Spencer pushed him into it.
- In the episode iEnrage Gibby, Sam was originally scripted to tell Freddie, "Dude, you can't even get one of these," referencing Carly. The line was cut because Dan Schneider felt it was too soon after iSaved Your Life to say something like that. Curiously enough, though, iWas A Pageant Girl aired immediately after iSaved Your Life and is still after iSaved Your Life in production code, yet Sam told Freddie, "No girl you have met is gonna go on a date with you!" which is a continuity error considering he had just dated Carly, but Sam could have been exaggerating.
- There are two references to hobos in the episode. There is a running gag in the show referencing hobos:
- Sam's dancing teacher, Ernie, is dressed as a hobo in a talent competition for a Late Night Train wait while dancing.
- At the end, Freddie puts on a new guessing card and the card's word is hobo.
- Sam's Penny-Tee reads 'Follow DanWarp' but was blurred out by Nickelodeon UK for it is product placement for DanWarp's Twitter page.
- On iCarly.com, a photo was posted of Sam standing on her toes during her dance routine with a description that says: "Sam learned to stand on her toes because when she was little her mom used to keep the fat cakes on a shelf".
- Sam ending her question "for the children" when these words have nothing to do with her question is a reference to Caitlin Upton's infamous question answer at Miss Teen USA 2007.
- It is clearly meant to copy the Disney Channel series That's So Raven. In the TSR episode "Raven. Sydney and the Man" Raven and Sydney compete in a pageant. And their talent act was involving a newspaper!
- A pageant contestant can be heard saying her name is "Quinn Pensky." This is of course a reference to the Zoey 101 character who, in one of the episodes, (Silver Hammer Society), says she used to compete in pageants too. The voice, however, sounds nothing like the original Quinn.
- Another contestant says her name is Lisa Lillian, named after Dan Schneider´s wife (aka "Hungry Girl").
- In this episode, it is revealed that Carly makes "special lemonade," which her friends apparently consider gross. This is a wink at another Dan Schneider show, Drake & Josh. Josh often made "limeade," which nobody liked.
- No one likes Carly's "special lemonade."
- Sam used to compete in beauty pageants because her mother forced her.
- As Carly and Sam are returning home from the pageant there is a night exterior shot of Bushwell Plaza in which the clock is moving "fast forward" and a full moon is rising. However the moon is rising in the wrong direction - a rising moon would have to travel from bottom left to top right through the shot.
- Sam was born in 1994, and she was a beauty pageant in 2001. Sam was banned for seven years, which means that this should have been in 2008, but the episode aired in 2010.
- Unless Sam competed in beauty pageants for more than a year, and got banned in 2002 or 2003.
To be added
- This is the fourth time that Sam wears a dress. The previous three were in iMake Sam Girlier, iSpeed Date, and iCarly Awards.
Carly: Let's see how baby feels about...
Carly: You wanna break something else?
Sam: [embarrassed] When I was little ... I used to compete in beauty pageants ...
[While Sam is throwing a tantrum.]
Freddie: I don't go on dates with girls I've never met.
[Spencer copies Sam throwing a tantrum because Freddie won't agree to a double-date]
[Sam hands Carly two strange balls]
[Carly and Sam just arrived at the pageant.]
Carly: You said she was nauseating, and she's totally nice!
[After Sam strips Carly of her dress and shoes, so Sam can appear in the pageant instead.]
LeAnn Carter: Do great tonight!
Sam: [as an introduction to the jury] My name is Samantha Puckett, I'm from Seattle and I love fried chicken!!
Spencer: Can I be spread or squirted?
Spencer: Am I a fruit?
Woman: Do you have any more ribs?
Related iCarly.com Blog Posts
- Sam's blog: What's In My Pageant Bag?
See photos of iWas a Pageant Girl here.