Later, Grandad Shay comes to visit. After he gives Carly a thirty dollar gift card of Groovy Smoothie, the trio set off for their smoothies adventure. Grandpa Shay tells Spencer that he wants Carly to live with him in Yakima, as he thinks Spencer's too immature and irresponsible to take care of Carly after seeing the hammer incident online.
Carly and Spencer try to change Grandad's mind, but fail. Carly then dresses up as a punk to make Spencer mad so Grandad would be convinced that Spencer is in fact responsible enough to take care of her, but Spencer believes she is going through a rebellious phase and even praises it. However, after he cooks dinner and his chicken bursts into flames, Spencer decides that it would be best if Carly goes to live with their Grandad.
As Carly and her grandfather are getting ready to leave for Yakima, Spencer gives Grandad lists of things about Carly--such as her favorite foods, drinks, soups, and chowders, what kind of vitamins she takes every day (Spencer gives her ones shaped like dinosaurs), and also the number for a good science tutor (due to Carly having some trouble in her science classes). His grandfather seems amazed by this—possibly an indication that he's realizing that Spencer's maybe not as immature and irresponsible as he thought. Sam and Freddie both share emotional goodbyes with Carly and Carly waves a final goodbye and the elevator closes. When Carly and their Grandad leave, Spencer realizes something and rushes to his sister and grandfather. Just before Carly and Grandad leave the lobby of the apartment complex, Spencer gives them something: Carly's asthma inhaler in the case she suffers from an asthma attack. Though Carly hasn't had an asthma attack since she was seven, Spencer kept the inhaler "just in case" she ever needed it. Carly's confident that she won't need it, and when it becomes obvious that she won't take it, Spencer gives the inhaler to their grandfather and tells him to keep it in the case Carly needs it.
This display of responsibility is what makes Granddad realize that Spencer's a good guardian and he decides to let Carly keep living with Spencer. This makes everyone, especially his grandkids, happy.
- In the UK, two scenes were cut out until October 2010.
- Granddad states that he drove 90 minutes to come see Carly and Spencer. To drive from Yakima to Seattle in an hour and a half, he would have had to drive at an average of 73 miles per hour.
- Yakima is mentioned again in "iWas a Pageant Girl", when it turns out one of the pageant contestants was from Yakima.
- This is a major Sparly episode, showing that they really love each other, and that Spencer really cares about Carly (despite sometimes childish, immature, irresponsible and even destructive behavior).
- Sam and Freddie argue a lot in this episode.
- Granddad mentions he will be staying at the Parker-Nichols Hotel. This is a reference to Drake & Josh.
- Carly suffers from allergies and has to take vitamins every day. However, this is never mentioned again, so it apparently doesn't affect her life very much.
- It's also revealed that Carly suffers from asthma, but hasn't had an asthma attack since she was seven years old.
- Spencer explains to Grandad that Carly recently started drinking coffee, but also reveals that he always gives her decaf without telling her (which Carly apparently doesn't realize).
- When Spencer was in 10th grade, he played the role of "man in suit" in a school play.
- According to Carly, her father is in the navy on a submarine 3 miles underwater.
- Marissa Benson puts anti-tick lotion on Freddie as a precautionary measure.
- As of this episode, Freddie does not have leg hair, which worries his mother.
- Sam once put live lobsters in the trunk of Ms Briggs car, which Carly took the blame for.
- In the scene where the iCarly gang are cleaning out Carly's locker, Sam begins to pace. She walks down past her open locker, but when she comes back to Carly, her locker is closed. We never heard or saw her shut her locker.
- On Spencer's fan of hammers, each hammer is attached to the fan with two screws. After the one hammer flies off, the two screws that were securing it are still in place on the fan. Thus the hammer that flew off should have two large holes in the handle where the screws pulled through it, or, more likely, the hammer handle would be split up the middle. However the hammer that gets stuck in the wall has no sign of damage to the handle, indicating that it was never actually attached to the fan. As well, all the hammers are facing forward, but the hammer that flies off goes in the wall backward.
- In the scene where Carly is cleaning out her locker Carly puts a book into the box that Freddie is holding then says "I don't see how we are going to do iCarly any more" - then in the next shot Carly has a sheaf of papers in her right hand that has appeared out of nowhere.
- After the fire, a fireman compliments Spencer on his chicken stir-fry. However Spencer never did cut up the chicken and put it into the wok, so the fireman shouldn't be able to know it was chicken stir-fry.
- When Carly, Sam, Freddie and Granddad enter the elevator to leave for Yakima, Carly, Sam and Granddad each have a suitcase on wheels while Freddie is carrying a red bag with handles, however when they reach the lobby Freddie is no longer carrying the red bag.
- Asthma inhalers generally have a shelf-life of about two years, so if Spencer had kept Carly's inhaler since she was seven, it would be long past the expiry date and should be discarded. Unless, of course, Spencer always makes sure to get a fresh one, which would show his responsible nature when it comes to Carly's care even more.
- It is unknown how Carly's granddad knows that Carly almost got hit by a hammer, because in the shot before, Freddie with the camera went down to the floor, thus not putting the camera on Carly.
To be added
- The hammer that almost hits Carly becomes a permanent part of the studio decoration. After everything returns to normal in iChristmas, Carly happily says "Hello hammer that almost killed me!"
- This is the first episode that the Groovy Smoothie was mentioned.
- The Fan of Hammers reappears in "iSell Penny-Tees", when the iCarly gang sells it online. The spot where the hammer that nearly killed Carly once stood is replaced by a sign for iCarly.com.
- This is the first episode that Granddad Shay appeared in.
- This is the first episode that Mrs. Benson appeared in.
Sam: If it's Freddie's mom, don't open the door.
Sam: How come my grandfather only sleeps and burps?
Carly: I think you met Sam the last time you were here.
Carly: I wanna stay here in Seattle with Spencer!
Carly: Spencer is very responsible and very grown-up.
Carly: Please don't make me move to Yakima.
Sam: Can I have this? [Holding a Pearpod]
Lewbert: AAAHHH! Too many people in my lobby! Keep off my floor! I just mopped!
Mrs. Benson: Because of you, I had to stop right in the middle of rubbing anti-tick lotion on Freddie!
Sam: Anti-tick lotion?
Fireman: This is some good chicken stir-fry. [Eating the stir-fried chicken]
Spencer: Here. [hands Grandad a piece of paper]
Freddie : Sorry, lost my cool for a sec there.
Spencer: [answers phone] Hello? No, Freddie's not here, Mrs. Benson. I don't know when I grew leg hair! I gotta go!
Related iCarly.com Blog Posts
- Carly's blog: I Was Almost a Yakimite!!!
- Spencer's blog: What a Strawberry Splat MIGHT Say to a Blueberry Banana!
See photos of iWanna Stay With Spencer here.