Ridgeway is sponsoring an upcoming Girls' Choice Dance and Carly has her heart set on going with a boy named Nate, but after she accidentally spits in Nate's eye, he says Rebecca Berkowitz already asked him. When Carly has trouble finding another date to the dance, Sam recommends using iCarly as a means of doing so, but Carly objects to the idea. At the end of their next show, Sam handcuffs Carly to a chair, duct-tapes her mouth shut and asks for Seattle-area boys to apply to be Carly's date for the Girl's Choice Dance (the camera zooms in on the gagged Carly, who can't speak but is squealing her objection so Sam puts a plant in front of her). Carly insists that in retaliation for doing that, Sam should ask Gibby to the dance since no one else did, but Sam becomes enraged when he turns her down.
When the gang is overwhelmed by the amount of boys who show up (752), they hold a speed-dating session. Carly finally finds a boy, Austin. She brings him on a double-date with Freddie, who gets stuck with Magic Malika, a girl who's fixated on performing magic tricks, because he took too long to reply to other girls.
Despite being rejected by Gibby, Sam goes to his house and insists on taking him to the dance, only to find that he already has a date (a girl named Tasha, who is apparently out of his league). He didn't want to go to the dance because Tasha doesn't go to his school, the dance was girl's choice, and they're spending the night at his house. Sam sees no point in staying and walks away.
After the dance, Carly, Freddie and their dates spend time at the Groovy Smoothie, where Malika performs tricks at Freddie's expense until she realizes she's out past her curfew, and vanishes her way home. Carly fares no better with her date and she demands he leave after he refuses to let her say a whole sentence throughout the entire date. Thus, Carly and Freddie are left alone there. Freddie asks Carly to dance, and Carly accepts. They have a slow dance together at the Groovy Smoothie, which Sam walks in on. Deciding to leave them alone, Sam exits without a word with a hurt expression on her face.
Spencer has a new workout app that keeps going off at numerous times. He eventually quits it when it tells him to do sit-ups for 10 seconds.
- Spencer Boldman as Nate Garner
- Skyler Day as Magic Malika
- Noah Munck as Gibby Gibson
- BooG!e as T-Bo
- Kevin Fonteyne as Austin
- Emily Ratajkowski as Tasha
- Danny Fernandez as Kevin
- The traditional name for a girl's-choice dance is Sadie Hawkins Dance.
- This episode impacts both Creddie and Seddie. Due to this the episode is very significant.
- Part of this episode is very similar to the endings of these episodes: iStakeout and iThink They Kissed
- It was confirmed by Dan Schneider himself that Sam was jealous of seeing Carly and Freddie dancing together implying that she already had feelings for Freddie.
- This is the first major episode for Creddie, as it's the first time it's made clear that Carly may return Freddie's affection for her.
- The first time we see Carly being "overpowered" by Sam—she gets handcuffed and duct taped.
- Carly and Freddie were scripted to kiss, but it was taken out because it interferes with future episodes, (iSaved Your Life). A picture of this kiss can be found online.
- This episode should be liked by both the Carly/Freddie (Creddie) shippers, and the Sam/Freddie (Seddie) shippers, as said by Dan Schneider.
- Guppy appears in the credits, before his debut episode (iPsycho), as a 5-year old Gibby who likes cheese.
- The exercise app voice is series creator Dan Schneider.
- Chord Overstreet from Glee guest-starred as one of the boys that wanted to go to the dance with Carly.
- Also guest starring was Jordan Fisher playing the role of Clark, the first boy Carly meets during the speed dating sessions. He went on to appear in the Teen Beach franchise and the "Grease: Live" musical.
- During the "speed dating" scene in the Groovy Smoothie, there was a very large number of "extras", (actors with no dialogue), all of them teenage boys. Dan Schneider observed that Miranda Cosgrove and Jennette McCurdy seemed very happy with the situation.
- The redheaded boy (Rick) that Carly speed-dates with also plays the drummer of the band in iDo.
- The song playing while Carly and Freddie are slow-dancing together is called "Meant for Me" by Chrissy Chase. Many of the lyrics fit the moment, and their relationship, very well.
- In this episode, there was the first ever Creddie dance. There was also a Creddie kiss filmed for this episode, but it was cut from the episode.
- Carly and Freddie will next share a dance in IRobot Wedding, in the revival series.
- This was the final episode to premiere before Nickelodeon USA had a major rebrand.
- In the first scene, when Freddie arrives, Sam calls him "Fredamame." Dan Schneider stated on his blog that this was a reference to the soy beans that he enjoys having at sushi bars.
- When Freddie mentions that "Jamie" and "Ariana" asked him to the dance, it could be a possible reference to Jamie Lynn Spears from Dan Schneider's show Zoey 101 and Ariana Grande from his other shows Victorious and Sam and Cat.
- The scene at Gibby's house reveals that his last name is "Gibson", (It appears on his mailbox - it says "The Gibsons").
- If you look closely, you can see Freddie has a picture of his mom on his PearPhone. His mom may have made him put her as his background to prevent him from putting up anything else.
- After the dance Carly and Freddie and their dates are sitting in the Groovy Smoothie when Magic Malika causes Freddie's smoothie to explode and singe his hair - then Freddie puts the cup down without the lid on it - but suddenly the lid with a straw in it reappears on his cup, then suddenly disappears again, then Freddie puts the lid back on the cup.
- Most of Spencer's workouts don't last ten seconds. The first one lasts 16 seconds, while the third lasts 19 seconds before the scene changes. Only the second workout lasts close to ten seconds.
- During the filming of iCarly, Sam and Freddy have large colorful push pins on their laps. When they stand up, the push pins are gone.
- Spencer's exercise app going off.
- Austin constantly interrupting Carly before she can finish her sentence.
- Nate tells Carly that Rebecca Berkowitz already asked him. She is seen in the extended version of "iSaw Him First" after Sam lies to the School Nurse, saying that her name was Rebecca Berkowitz.
- This is the second episode that a character does squat thrusts, the first is iRue The Day
- This is the second time that Sam applied duct tape (the first was in iWant a World Record, where Sam used duct tape on an air horn to wake up Spencer; third time was in iSell Penny-Tees on a child's arm).
- When Sam slams Gibby up against a locker, he says "Don't break my thumb again!". This is a reference to a line in iMake Sam Girlier. During Sam's birthday party in that episode, Gibby shared a memory of Sam breaking his thumb when he asked her for a date, a hint that he once had a crush on her.
- This is the first time that Freddie laughs at Sam. In retaliation, she grabs him.
- "Celebrities Underwater" is mentioned for the first time on iCarly.
- This episode marks the first appearance of Tasha. She appears again in iEnrage Gibby and on the background picture of Gibby's laptop in iPsycho.
- Freddie wears the "SPECIAL HAM" penny tee from iFight Shelby Marx.
Sam: And speaking of guys Carly doesn't want to go out with, ladies and gentlemen, Fredamame Benson!
Freddie [to Sam and Carly]: So what's up?
Sam: If a guy wants a date with mama, he should ask me. And pay for it. Or he can just give me the money and stay out of my life.
Magic Malika: [to Freddie] Well, think about choosing me, if you wanna have a magical night! [claps twice, and disappears in a cloud of smoke]
Spencer: I heard you spit in his eye!
Carly: You're in trouble!
Carly: I'm not going to use our web show to beg for boys. I'd rather be alone and ... crotchety.
[Sam handcuffs Carly to a chair and duct tapes her mouth]
Carly: I can't believe you embarrassed me like that in front of the whole web!
Sam: [after being turned down by Gibby] I asked him to the stupid dance and he said: "Nah, I'm good."
Rick: Hi, I'm Rick.
Spencer: So, you'd like to take Carly to the dance?
Kevin: I'm Kevin.
[During the speed date]
Freddie [to a good-looking guy] You're a male model?
Spencer: [sits down on the couch with Carly] You're going to a dance tonight. With a new guy. So, I just think it's time you and I had a little talk about --
[After Austin arrives at Carly's to take her to the dance]
Tasha: [Seeing Sam at Gibby's door] Who's she?
[After Malika sets Freddie's cup on fire]
[Malika drops Freddie's phone on his groin]
[After Austin interrupts Carly and changes the subject several times]
Freddie: [gets confident, flirty look and stands up, looking at Carly invitingly]
Related iCarly.com Blog Posts
- Sam's blog: My Tweets from This Week
See photos of iSpeed Date here.