iSaved Your Life is the 10th episode of Season 3 of iCarly and the 60th episode overall, it was advertised by Nickelodeon as an iCarly special. This episode originally aired on January 18th, 2010. An extended edition was aired on February 12th, 2010, which contained seven extra minutes of unseen footage; this version has not aired since its initial broadcast and a rebroadcast on February 19th, 2010 and is currently only commercially available on DVD. The episode explored the relationship of Carly Shay and Freddie Benson, better known as Creddie. It is considered the biggest Creddie episode.
The episode is the highest rated episode of iCarly, watched by 12.4 million viewers, it's also the second most viewed telecast in Nickelodoen history. By some measures, the first episode, iPilot, received more viewers, but iPilot's ratings were split over two airings of the show over two days. The extended version of iSaved Your Life was viewed by 4.9 million viewers.
An iCarly fan dares Carly to wear a bunny suit and brush people's teeth for one dollar. While filming the skit, Carly is almost run over by a taco truck while crossing the street, but Freddie pushes her out of the way. While saving Carly's life, Freddie gets hit by the taco truck. When she visits Freddie later, while he is in the state of a broken right arm and a sprained left leg, she says he is a hero to her and she kisses him, finally admitting her feelings. After Freddie comes back to school, Sam seems amused by Carly and Freddie's relationship, saying to Freddie that the fact that he saved her life was "Carly's bacon" and tells Freddie it won't last because Carly only loves what he did, not who he is.
When Freddie later doubts whether Carly really loves him or not, they agree to put their relationship on hold until he heals and try it again later (Freddie says if she still wants to be his girlfriend later, he would be really psyched about it). Freddie leaves, but when he is standing in the elevator at the end of the episode, he fully realizes that he just lost his dream girl, Carly, as his girlfriend and moans, "What did I do?" (this is emphasized in the extended version; he yells the line again, and the camera pans to a wide shot of the building. Freddie then screams even louder).
Meanwhile Sam, Freddie, Carly and Spencer have a paintball war called Assassin. Instead of using paintball guns, they use blow tubes to shoot the paintballs. Spencer shoots Carly as she is eating toast. Freddie is shot by Sam during an iCarly camera check. Then, it is down to Sam and Spencer. Both of them take the war seriously,which leads Sam to shoot at an innocent rabbi at school (because Gibby told her it was Spencer wearing a fake beard). At one point, Spencer hides inside Sam's locker, in order to try and get her, but she slams her locker door in his face before Spencer can shoot her with a paintball.
Sam eventually wins when a box gets delivered to Spencer. He expects Sam to be in the box, but instead, the delivery man knocks him off balance with a giant lollipop that was in the box, giving Sam the chance to shoot him with her blowgun.
- A fan dares Sam to get arrested, but they don't take the dare because Sam has done it before.
- We hear and see the fan dare Carly to wear a bunny suit and offer to brush people's teeth for a dollar.
- Freddie asks his mom what she is spraying on him and Mrs. Benson says she is spraying anti bacterial body spray for boys. Then, Freddie asks where she gets them and Mrs. Benson replies at sprayyourchildren.com
- Mrs. Benson calls Carly a freak and Freddie thinks she's calling Carly and Sam freaks but he reminds himself that Sam is a freak and says Carly is not a freak
- Mrs. Benson tells Carly and Spencer to leave their shoes in the hall, but then Spencer says he's not wearing any socks, and Mrs. Benson replies to get fresh socks in a basket when they walk in.
- After Mrs. Benson said that she doesn't allow flowers near Freddie, Spencer said they're posies. Mrs. Benson said that he hasn't heard the nursery rhyme, which is "Posy di, posy do, I don't want posies in my house!"
- Carly finds two backup blow tubes when she frisks Sam.
- Carly sees a big picture of herself in Freddie's closet.
- When Carly goes in Freddie's shower blindfolded, she trips and falls. Although this was in the script, there were no pads on the floor so Miranda fell for real.
- Freddie shocks himself with a Galaxy Wars Stun Blazer after Carly kisses him.
- Freddie says "I can't believe this is really happening" and touches her face, and Carly smiles and asks, "Would you like it to happen again?".
- Carly and Freddie resume kissing for about 32 seconds, then Mrs. Benson comes home and finds them.
- After Carly tells Sam that she kissed Freddie, they talk to the door; Carly eventually pulls Sam into her apartment.
- When Freddie goes back to school, a girl asks Freddie if he's going to be in the next 'Batman' movie, and Freddie tells her as a joke to spread the rumor.
- A girl shows interest in Freddie, and Carly gets jealous and kisses him. The girl says "I guess you're busy," and Carly replies "Yep, see you!". The girl leaves, and Freddie says, "My kitty's got claws!" and Carly replies, "Rawr!" flirtatiously.
- After the delivery man takes the lollipop out of the shipping box, Spencer takes an umbrella, shouts "Sam?!" and then repeatedly stabs the packing material in the box with the umbrella.
- The delivery man asks Spencer to sign for the package after Sam defeats him.
- After Freddie explains the "bacon" metaphor to Carly, he asks "Did you try the Bolivian bacon?", and Carly answers "Yeah. It changes you." in the same way Sam said it.
- After Freddie asks himself "What did I do?" in the elevator, he screams the same words even louder than before, as a wide shot of Bushwell is shown.
- Noah Munck as Gibby Gibson
- Joseph Buttler as Mr. Stern
- Mary Scheer as Marissa Benson
- Brian Nolan as Rabbi Goldman
- Another slight modification was made to the season 3 opening credits sequence from this episode until the end of the season, where "GirlyCow" in the bookmarks bar in the web browser is removed in favor of "TheSlap" appearing in-between "DanWarp" and "SplashFace" (which no longer appears blurred). This is in reference to Dan Schneider's new show Victorious, which would itself premiere on Nickelodeon two months later.
- According to Dan Schneider's blog, Carly and Freddie have kissed for about 34 minutes since Mrs. Benson would be gone for 36 minutes and it took 2 minutes to get Freddie out of the bath.
- This episode aired after "Big Time School of Rocque." Which means this is the 2nd time they aired after Big Time Rush.
- Coincidently, they both made their debuts in 2009.
- When Carly and Spencer come to visit Freddie, Mrs. Benson punches in an inordinately long door-unlock code to let them in. On his blog, Dan Schneider revealed that the combination was 46 digits long.
- The code, as it can be seen from the episode, is "13121 51133 99788 45122 39987 41523 94513 25464 51462 6574" which is actually 49 digits long.
- Thunder blasts in the background when Carly kisses Freddie in the scene at the iCarly studio.
- This is the second episode to have a near-death experience to a character, the first being "iQuit iCarly", which incidentally takes place just after this episode. Also, this is the first episode where a near-death experience/character in peril is off-screen.
- According to an article in Tiger Beat, Miranda Cosgrove and Nathan Kress were completely unaware that they would be kissing each other until they read the script, just before taping began. They were shocked. Miranda stated, "Since we're friends, it's not uncomfortable!"
- In an interview, Miranda Cosgrove stated that she would like Carly and Freddie to have another little romance, which lead to the fan theory that she may be a Creddie shipper.
- Miranda Cosgrove said in an interview that iSaved Your Life was her favorite episode.
- This is one of the most major Creddie episodes of the series, although it wasn't the first one.
- This episode, along with others, has many hints that Creddie could happen again later on in the series.
- In the extended version, the girl who flirts with Freddie when he comes back to school after the accident has a notebook with squares on it, just like the one Jennette McCurdy showed us in Sam's locker in the iCarly locker tours, which might even be the one from Sam's locker.
- Dan stated in his fun facts that they were supposed to film the part where Freddie saves Carly, but it would have made the episode too long. It might also have been written out because younger kids watch the show and might have been scared by the idea of Freddie being hit by a truck, even if it would not be shown.
- The extended version was shown again on October 9, 2011 at 12:30 PM.
- This episode proves that Freddie's love for Carly comes deeply from his heart and isn't just a fool crush because he put his life on the line to protect her. Self-sacrifice is a proof of true love beyond any question and doubt.
- Only the extended version was aired on Nickelodeon Southeast Asia. Also, due to the USA master being used (just sped up to accommodate the PAL format), the Nickelodeon logo wasn't displayed on top of the iCarly logo in the opening credits.
- This episode is indirectly mentioned in the revival episode ITake a Girls' Trip. Carly briefly, indirectly mentions her relationship with Freddie from this episode. That episode is also considered a big episode for Creddie.
- Freddie's casts are on his right arm and his left leg, and are blue and red respectively. These are the same bones that Drake and Josh broke respectively in the Drake & Josh episode, "Paging Dr. Drake" and their casts were respectively the same colors as well.
- When Spencer is inside Sam's locker, he says "Here's Spencey!" which is a reference to the 1980 movie The Shining when Jack says "Here's Johnny!".
- It is also a reference to The Johnny Carson Show, where Ed McMahon says: "Here's Johnny!" At the beginning of every episode.
- The sequence where Sam shoots Gibby with her paintball gun is a direct reference to a scene from HBO's The Wire where Michael Lee kills Felicia "Snoop" Pearson, with the two mimicking the dialogue and delivery.
- After Freddie is injured, Mrs. Benson says to Carly: "It should have been you!" Which is a reference to the 1986 film Stand by Me, where Mr. Lachance says to Gordie during his nightmare about Denny's funeral: "It should have been you Gordon." And like Mr. Lachance calling Teddy and Vern feebs and Chris a thief, Mrs. Benson calls Carly and Sam freaks.
- Carly's bunny costume she wears, resembles Ralphie Parker's pink bunny pajamas in the 1983 film A Christmas Story.
To be added
- Freddie said that Mrs. Benson pounds his pill with a mallet and puts the powder in his fruit sauce, but in "iNevel", it was mentioned that Mrs. Benson thought that Freddie was allergic to fruit.
- In the scene where Carly wears a bunny suit, you can see that Carly’s hair is at the back. But, when Sam replies “a good assassin always has a back up,” you can see Carly’s hair is not whole at the back, but already in front. After Sam’s inspection, the whole of Carly’s hair is in front.
- Freddie was on crutches, but it is unknown whether Ridgeway Junior High has an elevator or not.
- In the extended version, when Carly opens the closet in Freddie's bedroom she finds a large photo of herself - however this photo is taken from the episode "iThink They Kissed" when Carly was telling Freddie that Sam started saying "some pretty weird stuff"; as Freddie was not filming Carly at this time there is no logical way that Freddie could have obtained this photo;
- Carly "blindfolds" herself (using socks and a pair of goggles) before going in to help Freddie out of the shower. When they emerge, Freddie is in his bathrobe, and Carly (who is still blindfolded) is stumbling to help him to his bed. In hindsight, there was no real need for Carly to remain blindfolded once Freddie had put his bathrobe on. She could have taken the goggles off and would have had a much easier time of helping Freddie.
- There was some sort of labeling system on Freddie's dresser. So when Carly opened Freddie's underwear drawer, she should have expected to find underwear in there and shouldn't have been surprised.
- In the extended version, Spencer (who suspected that Sam was hiding inside the shipping box) took a long umbrella and stabbed the packing material with great force. It made very little sense for Spencer to do this, because if Sam really had been inside the box, she would almost certainly have been seriously injured. Also when the delivery man arrives with the box it can be seen that there are two umbrellas in the stand beside the door - Spencer grabs one of them to probe the box then throws it on the floor - yet in the next shot there are still two umbrellas in the stand.
- When Carly is in Freddie's room the second time, and after she leaves, the window is shown and it is not raining. However, in the first picture of the window, and in the shot of the building, it is raining.
- In the original edition, the Violin God game Carly's playing continues to work by itself when she's talking to Freddie. The mistake was corrected in the extended version.
- The nature of playing a real violin would make a Violin God game impossible to make.
- There is no logical reason for Freddie to fall over backwards after being hit by a paintball during the camera check, or for Spencer to fall over backwards when he is hit. Neither Rabbi Goldman nor Gibby fall over backwards when they are hit with paintballs in school.
- After Carly kisses Freddie and comes out of the Bensons' apartment, Sam says "Man, you look whiter than usual", however after kissing Freddie Carly's face should be flushed pink, not "whiter than usual".
- Sam and Spencer should not have gotten their blowtubes back.
- When Carly was blindfolded, she told Freddie where to put his hands at. This would be impossible because she was blindfolded.
- Carly said Sam never hit her before, however this isn't entirely true, since Sam slapped her in the extended version of iSaw Him First. However, Carly had asked for that slap, so Sam's point was she would never hit Carly maliciously.
- The violin keeps playing sound and making inputs on-screen after Carly stops moving the bow.
- The sign for Seattle Civic center was digitally added but was not added correctly as part of the building can be seen through the sign.
To be added
- The bunny suit worn by Carly is identical to the one worn by the middle guy in the viewer video in the previous episode, iWant More Viewers.
- In iApril Fools this episode was mentioned and the number of views it received.
- Carly slapped Sam's butt as they were leaving the apartment, this episode marked the first time that a female character (which is Sam), had gotten butt slapped by another girl, this instance happens again when Jade from Victorious did the same thing to Sam again in the Sam & Cat iCarly/Victorious Crossover Episode #TheKillerTunaJump: #Freddie #Jade #Robbie.
- This is the first time a rabbi has appeared in an episode. The second rabbi to appear in the show was Rabbi Lowenstein in iRobot Wedding.
Sam: It's called “Assassin” – and it's not a game.
Sam: Spencer gonna get got!
Spencer: [to pizza] Who's a pretty pie ...?
Sam: Freddie's hurt!
Spencer: You bought a taco?
Carly: Hi, Mrs. Benson. How is he?
Freddie: Mom, I'm not allergic to flowers!
Spencer: Hey, look, his toes stick out of his cast! [Playing with Freddie's toes] This little piggy went to market, and this little piggy got hit by a truck!
Freddie: My mom thinks I'll choke on pills, so she pounds 'em with a mallet and puts the pill powder in my fruit sauce.
Carly: What happened to the flowers?
Gibby: [afraid Sam is going to shoot him with the paintball weapon] No! I'm just a Gibby!
Sam: Use your face and body to protect me.
Carly: You know, everyone at school's saying you're a hero.
Mrs. Benson: [catching Carly kissing Freddie in his bed] [screams] What the yuck?!?
Freddie: Carly, don't leave! [Mrs. Benson starts hitting Carly with Freddie's underwear]
Freddie: What problem do I have?
Sam: [opens locker]
Spencer: Do you see a girl in there?
Sam: [After defeating Spencer] YEAH BABY! MAMA WINS! I AM THE ULTIMATE ASSASSIN!
Freddie: I'm just gonna bump up the speed with this 8-core 3 gigahertz server.
Carly: So you don't want me to be your girlfriend?
[Freddie, after breaking up with Carly]
Extended Version Quotes
Note: This section features quotes exclusive to the uncut version of iSaved Your Life, which features over 7 minutes of footage that was removed due to television time constraints. As such, all the quotes in the version edited for broadcast can also be found in this version by going to the iSaved Your Life section above.
Freddie: Mom, what are you spraying me with?
Freddie: Carly and Sam aren't freaks!
Spencer: But they're posies!
Spencer: It's not my business. Speaking of business, can I use your bathroom?
Carly: You know ... Everyone at school's saying you're a hero.
[after Carly and Freddie kissed for the first time]
Female Student: Is it true you're gonna be Batman in the next movie?!
Freddie: You've never called my tech talk "cukey" before ...
Carly: You mean like when Sam dated Nosby Moseby because he got her all that ... [both Carly and Freddie] bacon?!
Freddie: What did I do ...? [camera pans to exterior of Bushwell Plaza]; screaming] WHAT DID I DO?!
Related iCarly.com Blog Posts
- Freddie's Blog: Perks of Being Hit By a Taco Truck
See photos of iSaved Your Life here.
- Nickelodeon Scores Record-Breaking Night with Brand-New iCarly and Big Time Rush Debut TVbythenumbers.com (Jan. 19, 2010)
- Nickelodeon's iCarly Ranks as Friday's Top Scripted Telecast on All TV TVbythenumbers.com (Feb. 17, 2010)