After Carly gets a B+ on her history paper because her teacher, Mr. Devlin, doesn't like "3-hole punched" paper, Carly is distraught because now she won't get straight A's on her report card. After overhearing Principal Franklin's username and password to the school's network, Sam hacks in and changes Carly's history paper grade to an A+ (which gives Carly straight A's for the semester as she deserves). Sam also changes two of her own grades and one of Freddie's grades (to avoid paying him $40 she owed him). Before she tells Carly about what she's done, Sam makes Carly ankle swear not to tell anyone.
Carly is horrified that Sam has changed her grade (she did deserve an A, but not this way), but refuses to break her promise to Sam. Carly does tell Freddie and makes him promise not to tell by pinning him to the ground and holding him down. In Mr. Wimbley's class, Carly makes a distraction so Freddie can get at T5 Line. Freddie (with Carly's help) hacks into the schools computer network with his laptop and tries to change all the grades back and instead change the cafeteria menu to something that would be 'yummy' to eat but before they could catch up on what they really had to do, the Computer Security Agency (CSA) bursts into Carly's apartment and catches them hacking, because Freddie's hacking caused a breach in the school's internet and the officers tracked it all the way back to the apartment. The guilt eventually gets to Carly and she confesses to Spencer, and then to Principal Franklin, but takes the blame for changing her grade because of the promise she made with Sam, and has him keep the microwave. To her surprise, Freddie also tried to take the blame.
Sam, feeling bad that she hurt her friends, shows up at Principal Franklin's office and confesses that she was actually the guilty party. Freddie and Carly are not punished, but Sam receives multiple detentions. As soon as Principal Franklin leaves the room, Sam gets right on his computer and tries to reduce her number of detentions, but Carly pulls her away by the hair before she can make the changes.
- Adrian Neil as Mr. Devlin
- Tim Russ as Principal Ted Franklin
- Debi Derryberry as Secretary
- William Cowart as Mr. Wimbley
- Kim Delgado as Agent Newman
- Vince Deadrick Jr. as Val
- Juliette Hing as Karen Yamakawa
- In a blooper seen in iBloop, Miranda Cosgrove fools around and eats one of the cereal pieces from Jennette McCurdy's bowl.
- The end credits clip that features Carly & Sam talking about the #1 webshow, was reused in iCarly Saves TV, but with a different take.
- This is the first episode to air in 2008.
- The B on Carly's report is never clearly shown, though it is seen for a brief moment when Mr. Devlin hands it to her.
- The actress who plays Principal Franklin's secretary is Debi Derryberry best known for the voice of Jimmy Neutron and Jay Jay, Revvin' Evan, Herky, and Savannah in Jay Jay the Jet Plane following Mary Kay Bergman's death.
To be added
- Principal Franklin's username, BigTeddy, and password, Corncake21, are revealed in this episode.
- The detention form at the end of the episode reveals that Sam's last name is Puckett.
- Carly reads that she has to say "rampu" to turn on the lamp, but Japanese has its own script, so Carly wouldn't be able to read it without knowledge of Katakana, unless the instructions were in Romaji.
- As Freddie enters while Spencer and Carly are talking to the lamp, it can be seen that the chain is missing from the chain lock on the front door.
- Mr. Devlin could have easily been reported to Principal Franklin for teacher abuse or even fired.
- When Sam told the truth about changing Carly's grades, Principal Franklin gave her detention. In reality, she would be arrested for it as well as suspended or expelled from school. Though it is likely he went easy on her, because in iOwe You, Sam said that he goes easier on her when Carly is around.
- Spencer assembles the Japanese lamp in this episode, but it was seen long before that in iPilot - it is therefore likely that Spencer is installing a new fitting in an old lamp.
- When Carly comes downstairs to confess to Spencer about changing her grades, she turns in both directions and it is clear she has no letter A stuck to her butt. After that she did not sit down, go anywhere near Spencer's A sculpture or even touch anything until she leans over the back of the couch, so there is no way she could have gotten the A on her butt.
- In this episode Carly gives away their microwave to Principal Franklin. However, in subsequent episodes, what appears to be the same microwave is back in the Shay kitchen. This cannot be explained in-universe unless Carly or Spencer bought a new one which was the same model and color, or Principal Franklin gave it back.
- In this episode (also in "iThink They Kissed") Spencer brings out a "banjo" - but the instrument has six strings, so technically the instrument is a banjo guitar, not a banjo proper. In "iSell Penny Tees" he has a proper 5-string banjo.
- Spencer and Carly are hugging, then Sam asks "How do you turn this lamp on?" The camera points at Spencer and he shouts "lamp" (but in Japanese because it's a Japanese lamp that is voice activated) then the camera points at Sam as the lamp turns on but you see the hand on the left hand side of the screen that pulled the string to turn on the lamp and the man/women who turned it on does not bother moving their hand so it is left in shot. That goof shows that the lamp is not voice activated.
To be added
- In this episode, Carly pins Freddie down twice, easily. There is a reference to this in iThink They Kissed, where she tries to pin him down again but Freddie easily reverses the pin, prompting Carly ask why he's so strong.
- Mr. Devlin appears for the first time in this episode. He appears again in iKiss.
Spencer: Lamp. Lamp. Lamp!
Carly: Let me see the instructions.
Carly: Then just let me reprint for you on paper that's completely hole-free!
Sam: Tell you what. On the next iCarly, we tell everyone to go egg Mr. Devlin's house!
Freddie: Mr. Devlin is, like, the strictest teacher in school.
Principal Franklin: Good morning, Sam.
Principal Franklin: Sam, just sit quietly and try not to break anything.
Freddie: [after Carly pinned him down] Oh, and just for the record, the only reason you pinned me down like that was 'cause I wasn't ready.
Mr. Wimley: Please complete exercises 7 and 9.
Security Officer: We're going to need to speak to a parent or legal guardian.
Spencer: Hobos can't afford cable!
Sam: HAIR, HAIR, HAIR, HAIR, HAIR!
Related iCarly.com Blog Posts
See photos of iPromise Not to Tell here.
- Top Cable Shows Jan 7-13, 2008 TVbythenumbers.com (Jam. 15, 2008)