iPilot is the series premiere of the Nickelodeon TV show, iCarly.
Carly Shay (Miranda Cosgrove), a thirteen-year-old student at Ridgeway Middle School, gets in trouble by taking the blame for her best friend, Sam Puckett (Jennette McCurdy), for 'Photodocking' their English teacher's, Ms. Briggs (Mindy Sterling), head to a photo of a rhinoceros. Carly is punished and is forced to spend her Saturday judging the school's talent show auditions instead of going to a concert of her favorite band, Cuddlefish. Carly decides to make Sam go with her because it was Sam's wrongdoing, not Carly's.
When Carly goes to borrow her 26 year-old brother, Spencer's (Jerry Trainor), camera, she finds out that he made it into a sculpture of a squirrel. Because of this, she asks Freddie Benson (Nathan Kress), her tech-wiz neighbor who has a major crush on her, to tape the auditions.
When Saturday comes, Freddie and the girls find most of the acts boring. After watching the audition of a boy who looks like Miss Briggs, Carly and Sam make jokes about her "crazy, pointy boobs," which Freddie films. Later that night, Carly and Sam check SplashFace (parody of YouTube), the video-sharing website where Freddie posted the talent show auditions, and find out that Freddie accidentally uploaded the video of them joking about Miss Briggs which he claimed he deleted instead of the one that he was supposed to. After the girls confront him, Freddie tries deleting the video, but the video couldn't be deleted until the next morning.
The following Monday, Carly and Sam give a DVD of the auditions (with the comments omitted) to Miss Briggs, but she has already seen the video and bans all the acts Carly and Sam nominated to be in the talent show. As Carly thinks that it is unfair adults "control what kids can see" and because they got a lot of comments praising them on SplashFace, she decides to create a web show, with her and Sam as hosts, and Freddie as their Tech Producer. Freddie comes up with the name "iCarly" and both girls agree with the name.
For their first show, they invite all the acts they originally wanted to be in the talent show and have them demonstrate their bizarre talents. The show is an immediate success so Carly, Sam and Freddie have a "Crazy Hat" party to celebrate and the episode ends with Sam and Carly dancing in the middle of a huge crowd.
- Tim Russ as Principal Ted Franklin
- Mindy Sterling as Ms. Francine Briggs
- Nate Hartley as Jeb
- Brennan Mejia as Brennan Yuberly
- This is the very first episode ever aired.
- Following this episode, every title for the episodes started with a lower case "i" meaning "internet." However, in most episodes, it is used like it's referring to someone (such as iNevel and iMeet Fred), although in dubbed versions, the names don't always have "i" at the beginning.
- On iCarly.com, this episode is called "iPremiere."
- The mentions of Ms Briggs' pointy boobs were censored a few times:
- In the book adaptation, the author cuts out the pointy boobs part, and replaces it with pointy ears. Also, when a SplashFace user called Carly hot, it was replaced with "pretty."
- Carly and Sam making fun of Ms Briggs' pointy boobs was cut out in the Middle East and Australia, and 2008 airings of this episode in the UK.
- Photodock is a parody of Photoshop, while SplashFace is a parody of YouTube and probably Facebook, too.
- Freddie's personality seems to be a bit different in this episode. At the start, he is greatly in love with Carly, while he still has a crush on her in other episodes, he does not act out as strongly as he did with her in this episode. He also seems to hate Sam a lot more in this episode than in other episodes, wherein this episode, they couldn't be considered friends, which they became soon afterward.
- During the filming of this episode, Dan Schneider would laugh at every joke every time to remind the actors to leave a space for the laugh track.
- After this episode was completed, it was shown to four groups of 8 eleven-year-olds in Teaneck, New Jersey. 27 out of the 32 kids gave "iCarly" a grade of 'A' or 'A+'. Production of the show took a six-week hiatus awaiting the results from this focus group.
- Mindy Sterling was the only one with a speaking part that changed the way she read her lines with each take. Dan Schneider would have to ask the others to read their lines differently, but they didn't.
- Nickelodeon picked up the show for thirteen episodes before this episode was written or outlined.
- This episode aired three hours earlier on The N (now TeenNick, a channel owned by Nickelodeon that is geared more towards teen shows) than it did on Nickelodeon.
- Ridgeway's team mascot is "The Bulldogs."
- The first kid from the talent auditions, performs a scene from a French play called, "Là où est ma femme?" ("Where is my wife?")
- The equipment that Freddie used for the talent show auditions was "a 3-chip high-def camcorder with a hyper-cardioid condenser microphone mounted on a carbon fiber tripod with a low-drag fluid head."
- In this episode, we see the Japanese lamp, even though Spencer didn't put it together until iPromise Not to Tell.
- The URL www.splashface.com is one of the only websites that do not redirect you to iCarly.com, it will redirect you to www.theslap.com, which is the website for another Nickelodeon show by Dan Schneider, Victorious.
- Splashface does exist; see link here: http://splashface.com.magnify.net/ although it may not be the same it actually exists.
- Mrs. Benson and Spencer could have been woken up by Carly and Freddie yelling, although Spencer could've been at his friend's house (possibly Socko).
- It is mentioned that Carly's father is in the military overseas. He has often been mentioned throughout the series.
- Carly wears a jacket in this episode that she later wore in iGet Pranky and iGot a Hot Room and in iTwins.
- An extended version of this episode can be seen on the DVD version (although there is no mention of this on the DVD notes).
- The cellist at the auditions is playing the song, "Long Long Ago."
- In this episode, and later in iGo to Japan, Freddie is shown looking out the peephole of his apartment door, waiting for Carly to come home. It was never explained why Freddie would assume that Carly would necessarily take the main elevator to her floor, rather than take the freight elevator directly into her apartment.
- Gibby does not appear in this episode.
- In iGoodbye, the flashbacks to this episode are shown.
- Brennan Mejia, who played Brennan Yuberly in this episode, would later play Tyler Navarro in Power Rangers Dino Charge. He is one of the three Power Rangers actors to appear in a Dan Schneider created sitcom.
- The first iCarly web show was watched by over 37,000 people.
- Sam makes a reference to the book, Green Eggs and Ham, when she says, "Sam I am," which refers to one of the characters in the book called "Sam."
- In this episode it is shown for the first time that Freddie has quite a big crush on Carly since the fourth grade.
- Carly and Spencer both live in apartment number 8-C at Bushwell Plaza.
- Carly, Sam, and Freddie attend the eighth grade at Ridgeway.
- Ms. Briggs used to have a brown lump on her nose that was later surgically removed.
- After the first webcast, right after Sam says "Hey, we should have a party!", Carly puts her hair back behind her left ear, but immediately after that, there is a cut to a different camera angle, and Carly's hair covers her left ear again.
- Brennan is not technically speaking every sentence backwards perfectly; he's really saying each word backwards.
- Spencer made the "Bottle Bot" and the video squirrel sculptures in this episode. Since then, they been seen in the living room in most episodes.
- The shot of Carly throwing her hat into the air remains the only shot to stay in the opening credits from Season 1 and onwards (except for "iParty with Victorious").
- This is the first time Cuddlefish is mentioned.
- This is the only episode in where Sam, Carly, or anybody, for that matter, uses the word "chillax."
- Sam says that each show has a topic, but this tradition ended at some point during the series.
- Nathan Kress did not wear the platform shoes from the rest of season 1 in this episode.
Carly: [angrily] Hi!
Carly: You know, anybody but me would punch you right in the head.
Freddie: [hands water bottle back to Carly] You dropped this!
Freddie: [to Carly] I also brought you juice and a bagel!
Sam: Hey, you invited the doof.
Sam: What'd you think?
Carly: It's on SplashFace!
Freddie: [Sam pulls Freddie by the feet] AAAHHHHH!!! QUIT IT SAM! LET GO OF MY FOOT! TOO MUCH FRICTION! LET GO! WHAT IS THE MATTER WITH YOU?!!!!
Carly: Where's Ms. Briggs? What if she saw it?
[on the iCarly webcast]
Carly: Okay, this first kid we're gonna show you can take a glass of milk—
Freddie: You wanna go out in the hall and kiss?
Related iCarly.com Blog Posts
- Sam's blog: I Kinda Started The Whole Thing!
The premiere of iPilot at 8:30 PM on Saturday, September 8th, 2007 drew 4.1 million views. 
See photos of iPilot here.