"Listen, you little bitch. I am done asking nicely, put me on iCarly so I can promote LeapIn."
"Carly and Harper’s search for a better workspace leads them to a private women’s club where the leader is charismatic and demanding. Freddie enrolls Millicent in the Sunshine Girls, but she instead mobilizes the kids into workers for her cupcake empire."
— Official Paramount+ Synopsis
Carly and Harper can't stand working around each other in their apartment. Harper prepares for an interview for a styling job that demands rigorous preparation. While preparing for her look book, she leaves clothes lying all over the apartment. Meanwhile, Carly annoys Harper by speaking aloud when editing videos.
Argentina Woolridge, who is dating Spencer, overhears their arguments and invite them to LeapIN, her company that specializes in providing shared workspaces for women. However, Argentina is actually a fraud, disguised as a feminist entrepreneur. Carly learns that LeapIN thrives on mining data to discover the deepest insecurities of women and selling the data to other corporations for profit. The Femi-nests, which women can sit in and scream out their emotions and aspirations privately, are actually equipped with cameras and microphones to record their personal thoughts.
When Carly confronts Argentina, she reveals that she dated Spencer purely to get close to Carly and her subscribers. She threatens to erase Harper's look book from her flash drive, unless Carly lets her promote LeapIN on her web show. Carly begrudgingly bring her back to the studio, where they are met by Spencer and Harper. While Carly is figuring out how to turn on the camera, a task typically done by Freddie, Argentina says her true intention, which is to promote LeapIn on iCarly and have her company go global by manipulating women, secretly mining their data and taking advantage of their insecurities. However, unbeknownst to her, Carly's camera was recording the whole time. They make a deal to erase the footage and Argentina returns Harper's flash drive.
In the end, Spencer lets Harper work in his huge pantry.
Millicent joins a girl scouts team called Sunshine Girls, but instead of helping sell fudge balls, she wants to earn money for herself. She opens Millicent's Minions, a cupcake business. Olive, Millicent's friend, quits the Sunshine Girls to make cupcakes for Millicent's Minions, and Freddie is nominated as Chief Dad Officer (CDO). However, Freddie gets carried away, and Millicent's Minions decide to remove Freddie as acting CDO. Nevertheless, Freddie and Millicent have a sweet exchange, and Freddie gets emotional when Millicent calls him dad.
- Christine Taylor as Argentina Woolridge
- Amanda Cerny as Harmony
- Layla Mohammadi as Celeste
- Skye Townsend as Kiki
- Rachel Marsh as Toji
- Malea Emma as Olive
- The name of this episode was confirmed by writer Franchesca Ramsey on July 5, 2021.
- On July 3, Franchesca Ramsey revealed that this episode would have a "very fun heartwarming Millicent/Freddie storyline."
- This is the second episode to have "Space" in the title after iSpace Out.
- This episode takes place during Black History Month, which is typically celebrated in February in the United States. While this appears to be a continuity error as the previous episode, i'M Cursed, takes place in July, writer Franchesca Ramsey explained during her live tweeting session that "since February is the shortest month of the year, you have permission to use this saying year round." Therefore, this episode may not have taken place in February.
- In a later tweet, she reveals that this episode was originally supposed to be the 4th episode (before i'M Cursed), but nevertheless, she doesn't believe that this episode took place in February as no one was wearing winter coats.
- During the live tweeting session, writer Franchesca Ramsey tweeted a number of behind the scenes trivia points.
- Franchesca enjoys getting to explore how much work it takes for Harper to make it as a stylist.
- Like Carly, Franchesca is also obsessed with Harper's golden heels and would wear them.
- Franchesca felt very old when she realized that they needed to explain what “pencil you in” means to 10 year old Jaidyn. They explained, "well back in the olden days we used paper calendars and would write in pencil just in case we had to reschedule”.
- According to Franchesca, “I try to avoid complimenting men but…”, a line said by Harper, isn't a joke, but a way of life.
- Franchesca loves themes, so she wore leopard print every day on set. The crew got so into it that by the last day, people from all departments were wearing leopard print. One girl even took her boots off to show Franchesca her leopard print socks!.
- The line "It's Black history month so you have to say yes" is written by Nasser Samara. According to Franchesca Ramsey, "since February is the shortest month of the year, you have permission to use this saying year round."
- Even though Carly is being annoying in the episode, Franchesca empathizes with her as she talks to herself all the time.
- Guest star Christine Taylor, who portrays Argentina Woolridge, was cast after she reached out to the network saying that she would love to be involved in the revival.
- ArgenTHina's name (and over pronunciation) was largely inspired by “Hillaria” Baldwin. Writer Franchesca finds that there's something so hilariously obnoxious about a wealthy white woman pretending to be spicy white.
- Franchesca is obsessed with the LeapIN set and made a Pinterest inspiration board for the design team. They created a "millennial pink leopard girl boss oasis."
- Franchesca's inspiration for this episode comes from her time as a member of The Wing, a co-working space in New York City. She wrote a good chunk of her book there and would “pop in” between auditions so she didn't have to go all the way back to Brooklyn.
- The "FemiNEST" was named named by the Showrunner's assistant Jacques Mouledoux. The name was originally “Womanifestation” pods, but the name didn't clear.
- Toji is named after writer Franchesca's friend from her first job out of college, working as a graphic designer for the City of Miami Beach. It's still one of her favorite names.
- Nathan and Jaidyn came up with the handshake mocking the sunbeam fingers.
- The line "Cause Toji cried? She cried when a popsicle was over" is a line written by Ali Schouten.
- Nathan started singing "Millicent's Minions" out of nowhere and the writers decided to keep it because it was too funny. Franchesca loved the body roll.
- The writers had Carly and Harper running through different D words including "d-bag", "delusional", "ding dong" and "dill weed", but nothing hit quite like "dumba*s".
- Franchesca explained to the writer's room why she joined the Wing as "so convenient to just dip in for an hour between meetings." Later, when Kate Stayman-London got on zoom, she also described the Wing as "so convenient to just dip in for an hour between meetings", so they all started screaming because the coincidence was so weird and funny.
- Guest star Amanda Cerny is good friends with Miranda Cosgrove and consulting producer Esther Povitsky.
- Franchesca finds Harper's argument "It's not like a cult cult. It's a fun one like a fancy stationary bike or an overpriced improv class" fun because Harper and Carly are so different yet so similar. They're both impulsive and go with their gut, even when it doesn't make sense, but when they go all in, they go all in.
- "Fun we can put the top down" is an alt written by writer Clay Lapari.
- Franchesca really loves the scene between Freddie and Millicent, because it's the first time we see Millicent become really vulnerable with Freddie and even though he hurt her feelings, she still wants to let him in.
- Jerry Trainor nailed the falling leopard bit in one take.
- Franchesca really wanted this episode to be GirlBoss meets Scientology/The Vow.
- LeapIN could be a reference to NXIVM.
- Millicent's surname is revealed to be Mitchell.
- Carly has claustrophobia because she once had an MRI and the technician forgot about her.
- Despite being legally adopted by Freddie, Millicent's last name is Mitchell.
- This is the fourth time in the revival that the iCarly webshow does not appear.
- The Sunshine Girls were also selling fudge balls in iOwe You.
- This is the third time Carly's claustrophobia is mentioned, as it previously appeared in iSpace Out (not directly mentioned but Carly freaked out about being stuck inside the small space pod) and iSam's Mom.
Argentina: Oh, here, let me show you how to tie off your bouquet.
Millicent: Congrats, you're my new CDO: chief dad officer.
Related Cast Posts
- On July 14, 2021, iCarly tweeted "Meet ArgenTHina in a new episode of #iCarly streaming tomorrow on @Paramountplus"
- On July 14, 2021, Laci tweeted "It’s giving: “Come outside ain’t nobody finna jump you” 🤣 a new episode of #iCarly drops tomorrow on @paramountplus #iNeedSpace Also, @MirandaCosgrove is the Cher to my Dionne haha 🔥"
- On July 14, 2021, Laci tweeted "This is @chescaleigh's episode of #iCarly titled #iNeedSpace I can’t wait for you guys to see how she TURNT IT! 🔥🔥🔥"
- On July 14, 2021, Laci tweeted "This is the #iCarly ep my @BlackLadySketch sister @SkyeTownsend is in, cracking me up yet again! So fun to work with her back to back! 😍"
- On July 15, 2021, iCarly tweeted "Argenthina… She’s fan-thastic 😂"
- Jerry quote tweeted "Christine Taylor was the nicest actor ever! A joy to have on set from the get go!"
- On July 15, 2021, iCarly tweeted "even bffs need some space. Join us for a live watch of today's all-new #iCarly at 4p PST/7p EST"
- On July 19, 2021, Nathan tweeted "Here's ur weekly reminder to make sure you're caught up on @icarly! Last week's episode (iNeed Space) was one of my favorite to shoot, because we finally get to see the relationship between Freddie and Millicent really take a turn, as we head into the second half of the season ❤️".
|Paramount+ Latin America
||TBA||Necesito espacio (Spanish)|
Preciso de Espaço (Portuguese)
See photos of iNeed Space here.
See videos of iNeed Space here.