Carly celebrates Sam's birthday after the end of an iCarly webcast. During the party, many of the invited guests make her the subject of a Friar's Club-style roast, celebrating her rambunctious activities, which upsets Sam somewhat. The last straw is when Pete, a boy she has a crush on who was also invited to the party by Carly, refers to her as "one bad dude" he would choose as backup if he got into a fight.
While cleaning out her locker, Sam decides she wants to be girlier and a better person in the hopes of attracting Pete. Carly gives Sam a makeover, and although Sam has a hard time adapting to the changes, she manages to act girly and get a date with Pete. Unfortunately, she has a hard time trying to remain a girly-girl, given the lure of a burger and the presence of a rude senior named Jocelyn and her hench-girls.
Later, at the Groovy Smoothie, Sam is waiting with Carly and Freddie for Pete so they can go on their date, when Jocelyn and her friends also arrive to bother the iCarly team. Sam tries to hold back her aggression even after getting fries stuffed down her shirt, so Carly confronts the senior over her attitude and is also shoved to the ground.
Sam is given the go ahead to "rip her head off," which she is more than eager to do, beats her up, throws her out of the restaurant and then terrifies her goons into leaving, too. Unfortunately, she doesn't realize until it's over that Pete was watching. Much to Sam's surprise, he prefers tougher Sam over feminine Sam, and they leave for their date.
Meanwhile, Spencer starts sporting his tuxedo daily because he thinks that it's the only reason why Veronica (a cashier that repeatedly turned Spencer down in the past) likes him. Although both Carly and Veronica try to convince him it's silly, he keeps wearing it all the time, even to go jogging. Veronica finally admits that he does look cute with the tux on, and they kiss.
- Graham Patrick Martin as Pete
- Mary Ann Springer as Wendy
- Valerie Azlynn as Veronica
- Noah Munck as Gibby Gibson
- Cynthia Dallas as Jocelyn
- Before they sing "Happy Birthday" to Sam, Freddie interrupts by saying, "Not P.D." (public domain). This is a behind-the-scenes reference that means the writers of iCarly would have had to pay a fee to have the song appear in the show because the rights were held by a music company. However, in 2015, the copyright claims on the song were ruled invalid, so the song is in the public domain now.
- This episode later aired on Nickelodeon as part of an iCarly fan favorite collection, although the ratings did not meet the expectations that iSaved Your Life got.
- The yellow bag Sam carries around is exactly the same bag that Missy carries around in the episode, iReunite with Missy.
- The song that plays during the final scene at the Groovy Smoothie is the same song playing during Josh's date montage in Drake & Josh episode, "Who's Got Game?".
- Sam actually laughs at a joke Freddie made: "I just hope she doesn't get hungry and eats the soccer team."
- This is the first episode Sam backsasses Carly, stating that 'daffodility' is not a word.
- This is also the first episode in which we see Sam's hair being straight.
- Carly being pushed down and Sam beating up Jocelyn is similar to what happened in the Drake and Josh episode "Girl Power", where Drake was pushed down by a guy and his girlfriend beat the guy down.
- Sam's birthday is April 17th (as said on iCarly.com), but this episode aired on April 11th. However, this is very likely due to time in shows flowing different to real life, as much as a week can pass within mere minutes.
- Freddie's finger squirting blood everywhere is a rather dark undertone for a show on Nickelodeon.
- This is the first episode to have DanWarp added to the Schneider's Bakery logo. This was started on Dan's old blog fun facts from the Groovy Smoothie blog site.
- The first girly shirt that Sam wears (pink, short sleeves, with flowers), is one that Carly wore in iWanna Stay with Spencer.
- This episode revealed that Sam wore Boxer Shorts.
- As Dan Schneider explained in the fun facts for this episode, Sam (and later, Jade in Victorious) not liking the word "panties" is a reference to a friend of his who insists the proper word is "underwear".
- Carly noticing that Sam was throwing away her throwing eggs is a reference to Jennette's previous role as Trisha Kirby in Zoey 101 episode, "Bad Girl" where Trisha said she had to go throw eggs at things.
- This episode is quite similar to an episode of Hannah Montana: "You Are So Sue-Able To Me". Both Lilly and Sam try to be girlier, they both have bad eating habits (they both eat spaghetti in similar scenes), they are both shy showing their girly look, and in the end their crush likes them just the way they are.
- Freddie is prone to excessive bleeding. He doesn't bleed a lot in iFix a Pop Star when he gets a fork in his shoulder though, so he might have gotten treatment for it after this episode.
- Sam doesn't like the word "panties." This is later referenced in iSam's Mom and also on Victorious, (another Dan Schneider show), where it's shown in the episode The Wood that the character Jade has the same opinion on it.
- When Carly is admonishing Sam on her eating habits they are eating spaghetti. This presumably requires boiling the noodles in a large pot, yet a decorative green cover with bowls on it is in place on the stove, indicating that it has not been used. However, it may have been pre-made and heated in a microwave.
- When the gang is in the Groovy Smoothie and Jocelyn spills Sam's fries down her front, most of them spill onto the floor. However during the fight between Sam and Jocelyn, the fries on the floor mysteriously disappear.
To be added
- There seems to be a continuity error in this episode. Freddie says that he thinks of him and Sam as really close friends, but in iReunite with Missy (a later episode), Freddie says that Sam wasn't his friend (although it should be noted that he was pretty angry when he said that).
- Veronica later reappears in iEnrage Gibby (making her the only one of Spencer's girlfriends who appears for more than one episode), revealing she dumped Spencer at some point after this episode.
[Closing out an iCarly webcast]
Gibby: Hey, wanna dance?
Gibby: A couple years ago, I asked Sam to go with me to the Junior High dance.
Wendy: … and at some point during the slumber party, Sam took my bra, filled it with pudding, and stuck it in the freezer. Then the next morning, she took it out and threatened to beat my brother with it unless he gave her his muffin.
Carly: Gibby, maybe you want to put your vest back on?
Spencer: Hey. Party still going on?
Carly: Why are you cleaning out your locker?
Sam: [spaghetti stuffed in her mouth] What are you sayin?
Carly: If you like a guy, what about doing stuff like texting him a smiley face, or leaving him a little card with hearts on it?
Freddie: [Walking in] Hey, what are you guys doing?
Carly: [To Sam] I want you to pretend Freddie's a guy you have a crush on.
Sam: [After a makeover from Carly] I feel like a daffodil.
[Sam faces Jocelyn after a makeover]
Sam: [To Jocelyn] Nice girls don't fight. [picks up her textbook] I like your shoes. [walks away with a disgusted expression]
Carly: [After being pushed by Jocelyn] Sam?
Related iCarly.com Blog Posts
- Sam's blog: I'd Morph That
See photos of iMake Sam Girlier here.