It's Carly's 16th birthday, (July 24th), and all her friends help celebrate, starting with a Gibby and cherry-flavored pie on the show, and a special birthday breakfast. To make up for Carly's disastrous 15th birthday, Spencer is planning a big surprise for her birthday, and at Carly's request, Spencer also gets a haircut from Gibby's grandfather, Gilbert Gibson. Although Gilbert's eyesight isn't great, he still gives Spencer a great haircut.
Unfortunately, Spencer's birthday present to Carly, a gummy bear lamp, starts a fire that destroys her entire room. Fortunately, thanks to the fact that a watch the Shays inherited from their great-grandmother was destroyed in the fire, Spencer gets an $82,000 reimbursement check and decides to use all of it to rebuild Carly's room, without telling Carly, claiming he only got a measly $500.
To distract Carly while everyone is busy, he gets T-Bo to give her a job at The Groovy Smoothie. After Carly comes home, her friends (Spencer, Freddie, Sam, and Gibby) surprise her with her new room, which is equipped with technological gimmicks, a trampoline, an ice-cream sandwich couch, and a now fire-retardant gummy bear chandelier. Now with a great bedroom for her birthday, Carly happily hugs her brother.
- This is the first episode after Gibby's promotion to main character (and in turn, Noah Munck's promotion to regular cast member because he appeared in the episodes frequently); he's now in the opening credits.
- This is the first episode that features a remixed version of the background music played during scene changes, which sounds somewhat like background music from the show, Victorious. New music is also used for the iCarly webcast for the first time.
- The opening sequence in this episode is almost identical to the one used for the entirety of season 3, with a few minor differences:
- Whilst most of the season 3 clips are retained, some clips from the first few episodes of season 4 have been added, though they are few and far in-between. The clips shown in the far-away shots remain unaltered, however, apart from the clip focused on during each shot.
- The original cast members' credits and Dan Schneider's creator credits are now rendered in a 3D crystalline font similar to that being used in Victorious. Noah Munck's credit, however still uses the same 2D font as the previous opening sequence.
- Jennette McCurdy's credit uses a shot of Sam eating Carly's frozen pizzas from iBeat the Heat.
- A shot from the then-unaired episode iGet Pranky (where Spencer is dancing in Carly's mirror) is used in this season's version of the main title sequence, except for unknown reasons it is blurred, with strobe lighting focused him, whereas other episodes with the same opening do not have it blurred. It was likely blurred in iGot a Hot Room so that Carly's room wasn't revealed before the episode was over, and so that it does not reveal Spencer's new haircut.
- Some of the last few pans of the sequence are modified to make room to accommodate Noah Munck's credit in this episode (with a shot of a drenched Gibby from iQuit iCarly used during the credit).
- Even Miranda Cosgrove doesn't know what the goat did. In a sneak peek of a crossover with Game Shakers episode "Game Shippers", Nathan Kress said "I do know what the goat did, but I can't tell you."
- It is shown that Sam can speak Italian fluently because her mom really likes Italian men, which could imply that Sam is the child of an Italian man. Interestingly, Sam's actor Jennette McCurdy is of Italian descent (as well as also being of Dutch, French, Irish, and Swedish heritage).
- What Sam said in Italian translates to English: "I suggest you tell Carly 'Happy Birthday' or I'll break your legs!".
- Spencer unveils his new Pear Pad. This is the first time a Pear Pad has been shown on the show. However, the first time the Pear Pad was ever shown was in series creator Dan Schneider's other series, Victorious.
- The two pillows on Carly's new bed have Penny-Tee phrases. One says "Church Pants", and the other says "Parole Baby," both of which are from iStakeout. Since this episode, Carly's bed pillows have changed, and they often have phrases from shirts that Freddie previously wore (see Creddie).
- A shank is a type of shiv that is made from the metal shank of a prison-issued boot or shoe.
- In the ending credits, the cast sing the theme songs from three Nickelodeon sitcoms created by Dan Schneider: "Make it Shine" (the theme to Victorious), "Found a Way" (the theme to Drake and Josh), and Leave It All to Me (the theme to iCarly). Carly/Miranda is perplexed by hearing the sister show themes, yelling "CUT!" to the producers. Although most US airings have the ending credits cut out, the original broadcast and an August 1, 2010 repeat of the episode included this scene. Nickelodeon's split-screen credits or on-screen credits are used in other broadcasts, while international airings retain the credits.
- Despite the fact that this is the fourth season premiere, the second episode of the season, "iSam's Mom", did not air until September 11. The delay in the airing of the other early fourth season episodes is likely in part due to the season having begun production on this season in May 2010, only two months before this episode aired.
- An interesting note is that after this episode aired, 5 of the season 4 episodes premiered in reverse order than their production order.
- What Carly's previous bedroom looked like before burning down was never shown.
- Following the premiere of the episode, various replicas of some of the things in Carly's rooms were given out as prizes in a sweepstakes contest.
- Noah Munck and Jerry Trainor filmed special promos for this episode shown during the course of the week proceeding to the episode's airing: the shorts depicted Spencer and Gibby working on Carly's room, acting out their usual hijinks.
- This episode aired in the same month it is set, (July) but there is a six day difference.
- Jerry Trainor had his hair cut in the dressing room on set.
- "Over the Top" was an actual Sylvester Stallone film released in 1987.
- When Spencer calls for "the Carpenters," a couple that looks very similar to Karen and Richard Carpenter appear, which apparently surprises Spencer.
- According to Carly, Spencer has a habit of drinking milk while he's in the shower.
- Apparently, Carly had a traumatic experience with a goat the year before
- Sam is fluent in Italian because her mother likes Italian men.
- According to this episode and the website blog promoting it, Carly loves Gummy Bears.
- Although this is only the second time the Seattle Fire Department have come to stop a fire caused by Spencer on-screen (the first fire was in iWanna Stay With Spencer), they seem to be pretty familiar with him, implying he has called them because of his fire mishaps pretty often already.
- T-Bo has a sister. Spencer once got her a job, where she fell off a ladder and was hospitalized.
- Great-granny Shay left Carly a valuable watch. Carly and Spencer didn't go to her funeral though.
- In the scene where Gibby comes out of the birthday pie, pieces of the pie change places through different shots. Additionally, the collar of his shirt becomes upturned on its own in the last shot just before the opening sequence.
- Spencer offers Carly two kinds of cereal for breakfast and Carly says either is fine, then she seems surprised when Spencer serves the bacon balls - but as Spencer is cooking bacon in the oven the smell of cooking bacon would have permeated through the apartment and Carly would have smelled it the moment she came downstairs.
- In reality, Spencer's pants wouldn't have fallen down because you can see that he was wearing a belt. (Both a goof and not a goof. Nowadays, some people, usually young men, wear belts mostly to look cool and not to keep their pants up.)
- Carly wouldn't have gone to school on her birthday, as it is in July, which means that Carly's birthday was still January 14th when the episode was made.
- If Carly's room had actually burned, Carly, Sam, Freddie, Spencer, and the firemen wouldn't have been able to stand in there without practically getting sick from the smell of smoke.
- If Carly's room had actually burned there should be smoke damage to the floor above (the iCarly studio). Since the fire brigade attended the scene to extinguish the fire, there should be a lot of water damage to the floor below (the Shays' apartment).
- Bob, the insurance guy, refers to Carly and Spencer's Great-grandmother's watch as "a 1921 Robert Joulet" and then goes on to say "It was a valuable antique watch with a diamond-encrusted bezel" - however, to qualify for the term "antique" an item must be at least 100 years old.
- Gibby's grandfather is close to blind and would not know that it was a grapefruit that hit his head.
- People ask what the goat did on Carly's last birthday and Carly gets upset about it.
- Starting from this episode onward, everyone looks different.
- Spencer's hair is shorter, much like Season 1.
- Carly and Sam wear false eyelashes and more makeup.
- Sam wears slightly "girlier" clothes, similar to Carly, and has shorter bangs.
- Freddie is more muscular and his hair is shorter and combed.
- Gibby is taller than Carly, Sam, and Freddie.
- This is the first time T-Bo is seen outside the Groovy Smoothie.
- Carly sports a green jacket that resembles the one that she wore in iPilot.
- In iAm Your Biggest Fan, Spencer says he made the Seat of Sitting to "make up for Carly's last birthday", because he built her a lava lamp that burst into flames, which means that this is at least the second time Spencer built Carly a defective lamp.
- One of the pictures in Carly's room is a picture of Carly, Sam, and Freddie from iGo to Japan.
- Another thing Spencer builds catches on fire, and this is the second time it is a main point of an episode; this is also the second time Spencer's habit of setting things on fire has temporarily ruined a date or holiday (the first being iChristmas).
- Carly gets a "job" at the Groovy Smoothie in this episode; this is the second time someone from the main iCarly trio (Sam, Carly and Freddie) has gotten a job. The first was Sam in iOwe You, who got a job at "Chili My Bowl" in order to pay back money she owed to Carly and Freddie. The next was Freddie, in iPear Store, then Sam joins.
- Carly's bedroom is shown for the first time, and is shown quite often in later episodes in this season.
Spencer: [about the birthday pie] And it contains your two favorite flavors!
Spencer: [about his hair] It took me a year to get it this long and voluminous!
T-Bo: What did the goat do?
Sam: Ti consiglio di fare gli auguri di compleanno a Carly ora altrimenti ti spezzo le gambe! (Roughly means "I suggest you tell Carly 'Happy Birthday' or I'll break your legs!")
Gibby's Grandfather: Hey, Gibby! Can I have a glass of plum juice?
Spencer: [to Gibby] I don't feel comfortable letting your grandfather cut my hair.
Gibby's Grandfather: [feels Spencer's hair] Oh, you got a nice head of hair, young lady!
Sam: Right, which is why I had to make a shank.
Fireman: I'm Chief Donker, Seattle Fire Department.
Sam: If you want, you can stay with me and my mom.
Spencer: Carly, um ... hey ... I bet what that goat did to you last year doesn't seem so bad anymore.
Bob: Your reimbursement will be ... $82,000.
T-Bo: "Uh-uh. I'm your boss now. You gotta call me Mr. Bo."
[Carly goes to the bathroom]
[When Spencer checks everyone with his PearPad]
Spencer: MONTAGE SPEED!!!!
Carly: [exiting the Groovy Smoothie kitchen] Okay, I cleaned the juicer ports.
Spencer: I just wanna tell you all how sincerely grateful I am ...
Spencer: So how was work at the smoothie?
[After telling about the $82,000 from the watch]
[after Carly's room is rebuilt]
Carly: Who has the best big brother ever?
Related iCarly.com Blog Posts
- Carly's blog: It's My Birthday!
- Freddie's blog: Spencer's Hair in a Jar
- Sam's blog: Guppy Eats Spencer's Hair Clippings!
- The episode garnered 7.740 million views.
|Nickelodeon (UK & Ireland)||5 November 2010|
|Canada||YTV||12 November 2010|
|Australia||Nickelodeon (Australia)||1 February 2011|
|Southeast Asia||Nickelodeon (Southeast Asia)||11 February 2011|
|Malta||Nickelodeon (Central & Eastern Europe)||26 February 2011|
See photos of iGot a Hot Room here.