Freddie gets tired of tagging along with Carly and Sam to girly places (e.g. Build-A-Bra and Glitter Gloss), so Spencer takes him to the fencing studio. Freddie shows a gift for fencing, and Spencer puts him up for a match against Spencer's arch-rival, Doug Toder. While training with Freddie for the match, he completely forgets that the Dorfmans, the eccentric relatives of him and Carly, are supposed to visit them soon, and he leaves Carly to fend for herself.
Carly suffers through an evening with the Dorfmans alone, and is angry with Spencer for fencing while she suffered. She tells Mrs. Benson about it, who gives Freddie a tick bath and forbids him to fence any more. When Carly tries to talk Mrs. Benson into letting Freddie fence again, so he could have some guy time with Spencer, Carly and Freddie learn that Freddie's great-grandfather had an obsession with fencing and that all Bensons have a natural talent for it. He led a troop of gifted fencers called The Fencin' Bensons. Both kids believe this to be a lie. Freddie still manages to talk her into letting him fight Doug Toder, by threatening to never make another puzzle with her again.
Toder, finding Freddie to be more than a match for him, cheats by pushing Freddie to the floor with his elbow. Mrs. Benson, appalled at this, gets angry and takes him on herself. She proves she really has talent for fencing, as she manages to fend off Toder and his two sidekicks simultaneously and drives them out of the fencing studio.
Once back at the Shay apartment, the trio looks up the Fencin' Bensons, and see that Marissa's story was true. Freddie remarks that fencing really is in his blood after seeing his great-grandfather.
Sam and Freddie have engaged in a bet that Sam can finish a book in a week, with the loser having to do The Ushe, (spraying a hose down one's pants to make it look like they've wet themselves). Sam chooses The Penny Treasure and becomes interested in books for the first time, comparing it to "TV in her head." She becomes so invested in her book, she even turns down an offer from Wendy and her other troublemaking friends to throw balloons full of mayonnaise at Ms. Briggs' car. When she finishes the book in time and can answer a random question Freddie asks her about it, Freddie reluctantly admits she won the bet and pays his debt.
- Mary Scheer as Marissa Benson
- Shane Partlow as Barry Dorfman
- Casey Willams as Tess Dorfman
- Stephanie C. Allen as Faye Dorfman
- Dalton O'Dell as Ozlottis Dorfman
- Daniel Samonas as Doug Toder
- Mary Ann Springer as Wendy
- This is one of a few episodes that Freddie gets embarrassed in front of Carly and Sam.
- When Sam is reading her book, the sleeve of the book is a little off, since the book is open, and you can tell that the book is a copy of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.
- When Carly is calling Spencer on her phone, it is actually an iPod Touch with a Pear cover on it.
- This is a primarily Fencer episode.
- In closed captions, the 'ushe' is spelled yoozh.
- This is one of the three episodes where Freddie does not wear platform boots alongside iPilot and iPromote Techfoots.
- Erik Walker previously appeared in the Zoey 101 episode, Defending Dustin.
To be added
- Mrs. Benson was a Fencer in her childhood. She says she hates the sport.
- Sam could have walked from the back but she slapped Spencer and Freddie's fences instead.
- It is unknown how Toder could tell that it was Spencer fighting Freddie, since he was wearing his mask.
- The screen on Carly's phone can be seen while she's calling Spencer, whereas on an actual phone the screen turns off for privacy.
- The home screen can be seen on the phone while she's calling Spencer as opposed to the call screen seen on iPhones.
- When Spencer tells Freddie how to fence, he tells him that the aim of using the saber is to land a touch. While this is one way of scoring a point, it is far more common to slash at your opponent to gain the point.
To be added
- "The Fencin' Bensons" are mentioned again in the future episode, iStill Psycho.
Sam: How come I've never met them? (referring to Carly's cousins)
Sam: I can read a book!
Carly: You coming?
[Spencer and Freddie start fencing]
[the second time Spencer and Freddie start fencing]
[Sam hits Spencer and Freddie's swords out of their hands]
Carly: How come you can't read at your house?
Carly: You said you'd have dinner with us.
Spencer: You're mad at me.
Carly: Who's the dude?
Spencer: He sliced my banana!
Mrs. Benson: You're coming home with me right now and having a tick bath!
Kid: Hey Sam, we found a tub of old mayonnaise in the dumpster by the cafeteria.
Freddie: I'm not upset about the tick bath. I get those every other week. It's just...well, I do iCarly with you and Sam all the time. And I love it, but...it was just kinda cool hanging out with a guy, you know?
David: Hey Sam, does your mom drive a rusty old pickup truck?
Carly: Oh, come on!
Spencer: Alright, Freddo!
Carly: Way to poke his chest, Freddie!
Sam: Quiz me.
See photos of iFence here.
- The Hills Again Leads Cable TV Time-Shifting TVbythenumbers.com (May 12, 2008)