"I may be an idiot, ... but I'm not stupid."
iDate a Bad Boy is the second iCarly movie, following iGo to Japan. It is the 18th and 19th episodes of the second season of iCarly and the 43rd and 44th episode overall. This TV movie was originally going to be two separate episodes, and in reruns is often broadcast as two separate episodes.
Spencer's motorcycle gets stolen by a new boy in the building named Griffin. Carly strongly dislikes him, but Spencer "takes Griffin under his wing" (in sculpting), much to her dismay. In a short span of time, however, she grows to like him and kisses him. After Spencer walks in on them kissing, he grounds Carly "for till college." Carly deceives Spencer and tries to see Griffin at any time possible. Eventually, he gives his blessing for them to see each other.
Griffin invites Carly to his house, and she is shocked to learn that he collects and obsesses over Pee Wee Babies. She tries to break him of his habit but is unsuccessful in doing so. When she attempts to accept his weird hobby, she ends up laughing about it with Sam. Griffin overhears and asks if she wants to break up but she is unable to respond (she's distracted by imagining PeeWee Babies revolving around his head and talking to her), so he just leaves. When Sam suggests she chase after him, Carly just accepts the end of their relationship.
Sam asks Freddie to make a website for her in order to put up all the disgusting videos she collected, which he does. But when Sam becomes too demanding, constantly asking to make many changes to the site, he rips up the contract they made. Sam then sells the website to a guy named Sam Puckett and makes $1,000, leaving Freddie with nothing but a dollar that Sam gives him to buy himself a bagel. (Had Freddie kept the contract, he would have gotten half of the profit.)
Sam has a recurring nightmare where a monster eats her soup, so Spencer tries to help her get over her fear. When Spencer dresses up as a monster to find out Sam's reaction, she beats him (as shown in one of the opening credits of season 3) and Spencer ends up having the nightmare instead of Sam.
- The "Bad Boy" theme was also used in the Big Time Rush episode "Big Time Bad Boy".
- This episode has two different subplots excluding Carly, but both including Sam.
- Sam's nightmare is a reference to iCarly writer Eric Goldberg, who has the same recurring dream.
- The airing for this episode on October 10, 2010 at 5:00 p.m. (Eastern) had a rating of TV-Y7 when usually TV-G.
- When Freddie was saying "YES!!!!", his shirt was blue. But in one of the parts of the opening credits of season three, while he was saying the same thing, his shirt was yellow.
- The plot device with the Pee Wee Babies is very close to an old plot in one of Dan Schneider's previous series, What I Like About You in 2003, with Amanda Bynes ("Holly") and Jennie Garth ("Val"). Holly set up Val with a man who secretly had furry plush toys in his bedroom after he had a close encounter with a date who then gave him one as a memento of their encounter.
- Despite playing a teenage character, Drew Roy was 23 when the episode came out and is 7 years older than Miranda Cosgrove.
- Drew Roy also played a character that has a bad boy persona in Hannah Montana.
- The imaginary Pee Wee Babies circling Griffin's head are voiced by Dan Schneider.
- The voices of the Pee Wee Babies are panned left to right and back again in the stereo field according to where they are above Griffin's head.
- On MBC 3 and Nickelodeon Turkey, Carly and Griffin's kissing scenes were cut out.
- The song on the bookshelf stereo that Spencer plays as he turns it on was "Stop Thinking About," by Jennifer McNutt.
- Neck Infection, the video that Sam plays, is a real video on YouTube, but the iCarly version sounds more disgusting and sounds different then the actual one.
- This is the first episode that starts with "iDate", the second episode being iDate Sam & Freddie.
- This is the only special which doesn't have a recap at the start of part 2 in the two-part version. This was because of the fact that this was filmed as two separate episodes then edited into a TV movie.
- Pee Wee Babies are a parody of Beanie Babies.
- Sam has been tased before.
- Sam nicknames Carly "Carlotta"; there is no indication that this is actually her full name.
- When Spencer is at the Groovy Smoothie counter, a young man and woman walk up and stand behind him, then they do it again.
- There couldn't have been a guy wanting to buy Sam's website because she hadn't even had the website for over a year, unless Sam made the website a long time ago and just wanted Freddie to edit it for her.
- Another possibility is that Sam had already bought the domain; she just had not added anything to it until then, and before she had, the guy named Sam Puckett may have just tried to convince her to sell him the domain, and he would then edit it.
- Sam talking about someone her mom is dating/has dated.
- T-Bo exaggeratedly trying to sell bagels.
- Spencer talking about his Sham-Pow! (a rather obvious spoof of Sham-Wow!).
- The events of iPromote Techfoots are mentioned; Griffin steals the motorbike Carly bought for Spencer in that episode.
- This is the second time Spencer grounds Carly. The first time was "iLook Alike".
- This is the first time Carly dates someone (after her attempt to get Jake Krandle's attention in iLike Jake failed).
- This is the first time Carly falls for a bad boy; as mentioned by Freddie, Sam and even Carly herself, this is not her usual type.
- Griffin returns in iBeat the Heat along with his PeeWee Babies (most prominently, Peter the Penguin).
Carly: [to Spencer] Are you folding that laundry or assaulting it?
Griffin: I didn't steal it. Took it for a little joy ride.
Freddie: And what am I supposed to do with this drawing of me being attacked by a tiger?
Carly: [After Spencer caught her kissing Griffin] Well, Wendy and I were trying to study but Griffin kept turning up the music, so Wendy got frustrated and left, then I told Griffin he was obnoxious and he said I should "rent a sense of humor" and I said "Oh really?" and then while I was telling him how immature he was I realized he's super-cute, and he asked me if I liked music, so I go "Who doesn't like music?", so then I turned on some music and we started talking and I realized he's really sweet and smart and his lips were right there in front of me so I leaned over and I kissed him! And I don't kiss like [wiggles her tongue around]; I kiss like a princess!
Spencer: You are grounded...for...till college!
Griffin: [to Carly] If I go to your apartment, your brother's gonna taze me or something.
T-Bo: Here's your smoothie.
Carly: [to Griffin] Why don't you just go steal something and go, "Duhh, I stole something"?
Spencer: I may be an idiot ... but I'm not stupid.
Griffin: [in pain] How does it look?
Freddie: [walks in] Why is he here? And why isn't he wearing a shirt?
Carly: Give me the spray stuff!
[Carly is telling Sam about Griffin's collection of Pee Wee Babies]
[Carly reveals to Sam that Griffin collects Pee Wee Babies and Freddie walks in]
Spencer: [Trying word association to help Sam with her nightmare.] Monster.
Carly: [to Peter the penguin] I know how to get the dirt off your beak. [slowly moves drill towards Peter's face]
Griffin: Okay look, if you can't accept my hobby, Then, maybe we should break up. Well?
Related iCarly.com Blog Posts
- Sam's Blog: Griffin's CRAZY New Pics
See photos of iDate a Bad Boy here.