Carly Shay is the younger sister of Spencer Shay and the daughter of Colonel Steven Shay and Mrs. Shay. She grew up in Seattle and attended Ridgeway Junior High School. She is the former best friend of Missy Robinson, whom she hung out with during her childhood, and best friend of Sam Puckett since she was about eight years old. She lived with her older brother in Apartment 8-C at Bushwell Plaza while their father was stationed on a Navy submarine. The whereabouts of her mother is unknown. She is also the best friend and ex-girlfriend of Freddie Benson, who lives across the hallway in apartment 8D. He had a crush on her for many years, which started the day they met. In the final episode of iCarly, iGoodbye, Carly took the difficult decision to move to Italy to be with her father for a period of time ("taking a break for a while").
After Carly is suddenly single following a breakup with her longtime boyfriend and creative collaborator, she decides to restart her web show iCarly and return to the dating scene. However, she does not have much success in her dating life.
Carly is a young, slim Caucasian girl with long dark hair, fair skin and brown eyes.
Carly is a nice, easy-going, beautiful, smart, and caring person who would do anything for her friends, although she can be whimsical at times when she doesn't get things her way, such as in iLook Alike when Spencer refuses to let her go to a wrestling match.
Occasionally, she has to get between her best friends Sam and Freddie when the two argue too much. She gets good grades and usually stays out of trouble, except for when she takes the blame for Sam's wrongdoing.
She is easily grossed out by vermin, the gross videos Sam likes (except in iStage an Intervention, when she wanted to see a guy who could pull his lip down over his chin), or even when Spencer says "bowels" (iTake on Dingo). In iMake Sam Girlier, Sam tells Carly that she is "soft and girly and weak." and in iTake on Dingo, Sam called her "prissy." Carly agreed with this, referring to herself as "the prissiest."
She takes really long showers when she is depressed or needs to think, as mentioned in iGive Away a Car. She sometimes takes chairs into the shower with her.
In iWanna Stay With Spencer, it was implied Carly used to be a sick child. According to Spencer, she has to take vitamins every day and suffers from allergies and asthma although she had her last asthma attack when she was seven years old.
It was shown in iSpace Out and confirmed in iSam's Mom that Carly suffers from claustrophobia and freaks out if she is locked in a small space for a long time. Depending on the situation, Carly can either lose herself and become violent to try and escape or freak out and make strange 'nyahh' noises, although she can handle riding elevators and seems only mildly distressed when Nora locks her, Sam and Freddie in her sound booth in iPsycho.
Possibly her most prominent trait, Carly, unlike Sam, is not tough, and even when furious, she has never physically attacked anyone on-screen (but tackled Freddie in an angry manner in iThink They Kissed). However, rarely, we will see her attacking someone verbally or even physically, such as bullies or teachers, especially when they are troubling her friends, as we have seen in iHave a Lovesick Teacher and iMake Sam Girlier. She was also part of a girl mob (Sam and Shelby Marx) that beat up Nevel in iFight Shelby Marx although Nevel said he wasn't scared of her.
(2002-Present; Best Friend) Carly and Sam met when they were about eight years old and Sam wanted to steal Carly's tuna sandwich that she was eating for lunch. When Carly fought back, Sam was impressed and the two eventually became friends. To this day, they share a close friendship that some fans even think of as romantic to a certain degree. Carly acts as a moral guardian to Sam, trying to keep her out of trouble and occasionally taking the blame for her pranks. Although Sam frequently causes Carly trouble, she likes her for being "creative, smart, fun and awesome". In iChristmas, it was shown that Carly's life would be very different without Sam; iCarly would never have existed and Carly would be dating Nevel Papperman. At times, Carly and Sam's fights are extremely bad, such as in iDon't Want to Fight and iSaw Him First. In iQuit iCarly, one of their fights even leads to a near-death situation for both of them. They seem to be as close as sisters as they look out for each other. Sam is also the person who reminded Carly that the internet would 'still be there' when she got back from Italy with her dad in iGoodbye. (See Cam Friendship)
(2005-Present; Best Friend, Ex-Boyfriend, Neighbor) Freddie has had a huge crush on Carly ever since he met her. At times, he looked through his peephole and waited for her to come home. Carly never seemed threatened by this behavior, but rather amused. Carly is very aware of Freddie's crush on her and sometimes exploits that he would do anything for her by saying "Please. For me?" in a sweet, cute voice. They keep up a good friendship, though, and know they can rely on each other when it's necessary. Freddie and Carly's commonalities include maintaining high grades, not liking getting in trouble, and living at the Bushwell Plaza. Carly was known to be stronger than Freddie, having pinned him down three times. The third time though he reversed the pin. They are really good friends. (See Creddie Friendship)
They were in a relationship in "iSaved Your Life", but Sam convinced Freddie that Carly was only touched that he saved her life and wasn't in love with him, but what he did. They broke up afterward, but said they would be interested in going out again when Carly is over the "hero thing". In iOpen a Restaurant, Freddie asks Carly, "Is it too late for you to love me?" out of nowhere, leading many to believe that Freddie has feelings for Carly. Then, in the series finale, iGoodbye, the two share a kiss (initiated by Carly), and Freddie is seen fist-pumping into the air triumphantly directly after this.
Carly has shown possible jealousy over two girls that Freddie has possibly been attracted to (iBeat the Heat and iHire an Idiot) since Freddie has also been jealous of guys that Carly likes in previous episodes. Carly has also been seen slightly flirting with Freddie (iSaved Your Life, iStart a Fanwar, etc.). In the series finale iGoodbye, Carly comes up to the iCarly studio while Freddie is packing up. Carly stops him by placing her hand on his, and then she kisses him. Freddie returns the kiss, and as they are leaving the iCarly Studio, he is seen raising his hands up in a triumphant gesture, because he was happy Carly finally made a move. It is possible that they go out in the future because in iGoodbye, Carly kisses Freddie and he reacts by a fist pump like in iSaved Your Life.
In series|the revival series it is revealed that Carly and Freddie stayed fiends in the last 10 years and it will explore their relationship in a "romantic tension way", according to Miranda Cosgrove.
In IRobot Wedding, Carly and Freddie share a romantic slow dance at Nevel Papperman's wedding whilst she is wearing a wedding dress. However, things get intense in iTake a Girls' Trip, when Carly and Freddie go on a "girls" trip without Harper and they end up in the honeymoon suite. Things get complicated when they are believed to be having sex when Brooke walks in and Carly is jealous when Freddie takes a brief interest in Brooke. This episode hints that Carly and Freddie are starting to have feelings for each other again. In the season finale, there are hints to Carly and Freddie having feelings for each other again. When Wes and Beau tell Carly they love her, she looks directly at Freddie who looks like he wants to tell her he is in love with Carly too. The episode/season ends with Carly saying "and", whilst looking at only Freddie as if she wants to tell him she loves him or wants to be with him. (See: Creddie)
(Birth–Present; Siblings/Legal Guardian) Carly and her brother have an extremely close and loving relationship. Carly acts as the voice of reason or as emotional support when needed (and vice versa) and she can also rely on him when she has trouble. She is used to him letting her have a lot of freedom and gets irritated when he doesn't give her what she wants, as shown in iLook Alike. Nevertheless, the two care deeply about each other and have probably the most loving relationship on the show. In IGot a Hot Room, Spencer spends the entire episode going out of his way just to make Carly happy. He plans the biggest day ever and when Spencer accidentally lites her room on fire, Spencer spends all the insurance money he received to make it even better. Carly admits she has "the best big brother ever." Their brother/sister relationship is very important to the show (See Sparly)
(2007–Present; Friend, One date)
Carly and Gibby have known each other for four years. She has shown a little attraction to Gibby, and Gibby might have an attraction to Carly. They are very good friends, and he's a recurring guest on her web show. Carly once mentioned that Gibby was "sweet, cute, and fun".
In iWin a Date Gibby chose Carly as his date, possibly by mistake, despite her obvious hints that she wasn't Shannon. They went on a triple date to The Cheesecake Warehouse: Carly and Gibby, Sam and Reuben, Freddie and Shannon. Carly tried to help Shannon to like Gibby. After that, Carly and Gibby become good friends. (See Cibby)
(Unknown-Present; Best Friend, Roommate) Harper and Carly are best friends and share an apartment at Bushwell Plaza. Harper pushes Carly out of her comfort zone as they confront day to day obstacles. (See: Carly and Harper)
(Unknown-Present) Millicent feels a sense of competition between her and Carly. According to Miranda Cosgrove, Millicent secretly wants to have her own web show, wants wants Carly's fandom and wants to take her down at the same time. She is sometimes sweet to Carly and manipulative at times. (See: Carly and Millicent)
(2021; Boyfriend) Wesley and Carly meet in iCan Fix it Myself when she calls him to fix her car. Although she is instantly attracted to him, they don't get along as she accuses him of scamming people during his class. Carly later calls Wes again and although he can't save her car, they do agree to go on a date.
(Unknown-2021; Ex-boyfriend) Carly and Beau were in a relationship and created content together. However, Beau breaks up with Carly in iStart Over.
He later professes his lover for her in iReturn to Webicon.
Ben Huebscher (First kiss)
In iKiss, Carly tells Sam and Freddie that her first kiss was with a boy named Ben Huebscher, who she kissed under a kumquat tree and he tasted like potato salad. It is unknown whether they were dating or not. He is named after an iCarly writer.
Jake Krandle (2007; Crush)
In "iLike Jake", she had a crush on Jake and he liked her back. After Jake saw Carly kiss, Freddie, on the nose (for helping to make Jake's singing voice sound good for the web show), he believed that they were a couple. Because of this, Jake decided to get back together with his ex-girlfriend, leaving Carly single.
Shane (2008; Crush, Date)
She went out with him for a brief time in "iSaw Him First," but since Sam was also dating him at the same time, the two of them fight and decide that the one who kisses him first gets to date him. Shane broke up with them when he found out about their competition for him.
Nevel Papperman (2008; Alternate Reality Boyfriend, Enemy)
Nevel kissed Carly on the cheek in iNevel, and has tried to get kisses from her ever since, but Carly constantly refuses. In the episode iChristmas, if Spencer was born normal, Nevel was going to be Carly's boyfriend.
Griffin (2009; Ex-Boyfriend)
She dated him in "iDate a Bad Boy" until she found out he collected PeeWee Babies. She tried to make the relationship work, but then Griffin overheard Carly and Sam making fun of his PeeWee Babies and then broke up with her. He comes back in "iBeat the Heat" and tries to kiss her, but she rebuffs him. (Also see Criffin)
Austin (2009; Date)
Carly chose him as her date in "iSpeed Date." At the end of the episode, she dumped him because he kept interrupting her with random sentences whenever she wanted to say something.
Adam (2010; Crush)
Carly loved Adam in iStart a Fanwar. He seemed to be interested in her, too, but in the end, he was attacked by Creddie fans and Carly just left after Sam said “he belongs to them now". (Also, see Cadam)
Cort (2011; Crush)
Carly said (in the same general idea) to Sam in liking him, "I was about to say that!" what Sam said about him: "You are soooo good lookin'!"
Kyle (2011; Boyfriend)
Carly went on a few dates with Kyle in iQ, but was feeling intellectually inferior to him and tried to pretend to be more educated to impress him. When he found out about this, he broke up with her for being dishonest.
Trey (2012; Date)
Carly flirted with Trey in the episode iPear Store and invited him to her apartment for a date. When he dropped his original nerdy facade and was being too forward with her, she had Spencer kick him out.
Keith (2012; Date)
Keith was coming over to Carly's apartment for a date in iGet Banned, but T-Bo knocked him out with his lemon launcher when he walked in.
Luke Tyler (Unknown-2021; Date)
Carly and Luke first met at Camp Lakehorn and made smores together. When they reconnected in iStart Over, they went on a date at a fancy restaurant, but Carly became disinterested after watching him gargle Bavarian goat whey.
Justin (Unknown-2021; Hater, dated)
Justin is Carly's hater. When he was 11, he submitted a video to iCarly.com, but it was not featured on the show, so he held a grudge for years and posted hateful comments about her new iCarly show, with the comments all ending with "Do better." In the episode iHate Carly, he met her at Skybucks Coffee and instantly changed his mind about her. They go on a date, however, Carly is unaware that he is her hater, until he is in her apartment. She later gives him an opportunity to perform on iCarly, but is turned off by his rather odd talent.
Trenton (2021; Dated)
Harper set Trenton and Carly on a date, citing Trenton as as "the perfect guy", who is "just her type", as he is "hot and dumb." However, he is rather dim-witted and talks about Flat Earth theory during their date.
- Although it would be logical to think that her full first name is "Carlotta" with Carly being a nickname because she gets called that several times in the series, in fact, there is no proof in the series or the website that "Carlotta" is her true first name. It is eventually proven false in iStill Psycho when the police send a text to Carly which has the characters' full names.
- Carly claimed to be a Capricorn in iScream On Halloween and on iCarly.com, her birthday originally was said to be January 14, but it was changed to July 24 shortly before the finale of Season 3 (probably to make it closer to the airdate of iGot a Hot Room), which would make her a Leo.
- Carly is the youngest of the iCarly trio (Sam, Freddie and herself), as her birthday is in July and Freddie and Sam's birthdays are in February and April, respectively. Her original birthday before season 4 would have made her the oldest of the trio, so her age as opposed to that of her friends is debatable.
- She was eighteen when the series ended.
- Carly's only younger counterpart was presented on iDon't Want to Fight, in a flashback showing when Carly and Sam met.
- In iOwe You, Spencer said Carly used to be a Sunshine Girl.
- Her best friend is Sam Puckett
- Carly had only three boyfriends, Griffin in iDate a Bad Boy, her best friend Freddie in iSaved Your Life and Steven Carson in iParty With Victorious. Other love interests are rarely seen to go past one date.
- The only time Carly has had a boyfriend by the end of an episode is in iToe Fat Cakes.
- In iDate Sam & Freddie, it is revealed that she uses a CPAP to keep herself from snoring.
- Carly's head has nearly been hit twice: in iWanna Stay with Spencer (nearly getting hit with a hammer) and iStart a Fanwar (a fan threw a chair at Carly at Webicon).
- Carly has had three near-death experiences: in iWanna Stay with Spencer (nearly getting hit in the head with a hammer); in iQuit iCarly (almost falling off a window washer platform, along with Sam); and in iSaved Your Life (almost getting hit by a taco truck, but rescued by Freddie, off-screen).
- She loves the band Cuttlefish.
- She enjoys drinking coffee. Spencer always gives her decaffeinated coffee without telling her.
- Carly is fond of Build-A-Bra and Glitter Gloss which are both stores at the Crown Ridge Mall.
- It is mentioned various times that Carly watches and possibly likes the show Full House.
- She is an avid believer in Bigfoot (iBelieve in Bigfoot).
- Carly sometimes pokes people when she wants to get them to focus (iPromise Not To Tell).
- Carly has shown her midsection the most out of any female on the show, due to her wearing a bikini (iHatch Chicks), a red bandanna top in her recurring cowgirl costume, a hula skirt with a coconut bikini top (iSaw Him First), a two-piece mixed martial arts outfit (iFight Shelby Marx), a purple and black plaid blouse (iSpace Out), an 80s costume (iBelieve in Bigfoot), and a little bit of her belly in a plaid pink - black cami. (iBeat the Heat)
- Carly has a bikini with a floral design, skirt bikini bottom, and a g-string in the back. (iHatch Chicks)
- Her great-grandmother gave her a heavily insured diamond-encrusted watch when she died, although it seems Spencer and Carly did not go to her funeral. It came in handy when her room was destroyed in a fire and the watch was destroyed in the fire. It was insured for $82,000. (iGot a Hot Room)
- In iLost My Mind, Carly grabs a set of keys on the way out of the door on the way to Troubled Waters. This poses the possibility that Carly can drive.
- She is shown to have her own Debit card, a necklace that says "Love & Giggles", and enjoy Gummy Hearts in iRescue Carly.
- She is the first person to last a full round against Shelby Marx.
- Carly has had one job in iGot a Hot Room at the Groovy Smoothie.
- Caleb predicted that she would be the future Vice President of the United States.
- Her hair was styled differently in the first season.
- Although Carly is the main character in the series, she stopped appearing in new iCarly.com segments at some point due to Miranda Cosgrove's busy schedule. The gang only say she's on camera.
- While Carly has partied with Tori Vega in the crossover iParty with Victorious, this is not the first time actress Victoria Justice has been on iCarly. She also played the CFC champion Shelby Marx in iFight Shelby Marx.
- Carly has commented on Miranda Cosgrove's previous role of Megan Parker in Drake & Josh twice; in iGet Pranky, she complained about Megan being better at pranking than her and in iToe Fat Cakes, she said "Seen it." when seeing a scene from the episode "Peruvian Puff Peppers" on TV.
- Carly, until the episode iRescue Carly was made known, was the only one of the main characters (including Gibby) not to have her name featured in an episode title. Instead, iCarly was used (the webshow's title).
- In the first season of the revival, Carly is 26, which is the same age Spencer was in IPilot, the original series premiere.
Carly: I wanna stay here in Seattle with Spencer!
|iCarly (2021) Episodes|
|✔ = Appeared||M = Mentioned||F = Flashback|
|- = Did not appear||V = Voice||P = Pictured|
|Note: Specials are counted as 1 episode in the total (see more information).|
See photos of Carly Shay here.